Getting Oppo DSD Output to the Direct Stream Dac

Anybody tried the D.BOB (Digital BreakOut Box)? https://www.musicdirect.com/accessories/GeerFab-D-BOB-Digital-Breakout-Box It just came out this month. I hopping to see if it really does work as advertised.

Stay away from it. Get the Chinese Boards instead and save your money. I read the review and it’s good for those who can’t solder but the cheap Chinese boards work great and they strip away the copy protection so BluRay no longer display 48kHz/16 BIt on your DAC.

1 Like

Thanks!

Riku,
I have a D.BOB and it works as advertised. It will send whatever is in the HDMI output as long as it is two channel. So, whatever is on your SACD’s, DVD Audios, Blu Ray disks, or CD’s will play in their full resolution.

But, I sometimes get a pop from certain SACD’s when it internally switches to DoP. There is no pop for PCM based disks.

I have a $40 HDMI extractor that I was using prior to the D.BOB. It only was able to process PCM. But, the D.BOB sounds better than the inexpensive box presumably because of better electronics.

I would recommend the D.BOB to get the best of your SACD’s.

2 Likes

The HDMI Extractor boards do True DSD (instead of DoP - which is fine but…) 2 channel only when connected to the latest Sony Universal Disc Spinners. My rig works perfectly for both SACD discs/DSD downloads (I2S input # 1) and PCM (I2S input # 2) with a Sony UBPX1000ES (or X800, 1100ES, or 800M2).

In my rig, Ted’s box does all the heavy lifting (so to speak). All the extractor boards are doing is providing the necessary clock, data, DSD, and gnd connections.

I get pops and bangs but my 901’s are indestructible so it’s not an issue :joy:.

Thanks for the update. I’ve ordered it bare without the case. It is a new board, hope they have addressed all the shortcomings in the previous version, we’ll see in a few weeks.

They flipped the HMDI In and HDMI out positions. My friend just received a board and I configured it with the blue board the correct the L & R Channel flip. Works like a Charm !

My friend got it and the blue board to correct the L & R channels. Works like a charm !

Moved the box up front for the photo op, now in back with a shorter cable. Neither of which seems to make an impact. Transitioning from HDMI to Coax is smooth and quiet.

Never had any intention of going down this rabbit hole, I had planned on upgrading DACs to accommodate the analog outs of my SCD 777ES. Came upon the new D90 and saw what I thought was an HDMI input, thought “cool” I can connect my dusty 83se. While waiting for the DAC, I get an education about IIS2 and it’s not going to work. Kinda of a bummer because I just sold that awesome SACD player to fund the DAC. Wandering around, I find your mile long thread about converting the signal. Now I’m too deep to turn around, decide to go full double board mod, get my solder kit ready, and start sourcing boards on eBay, pick up story from link above. Board arrives, connect to my new D90 and old Oppo 83, rub my eyes, I’m listening to pure DSD. 60 seconds later the transport / laser dies in the 83. Now I’m truly in Wonderland. Did it actually work or did it corrupt the player ? Sell the player and remote to now fund another piece in this puzzle. As a transport the 93 looked to be the most cost effective, updates tray from the wonky 83, and is the same used the 105. All three have identical DSD output, no need for any of the Sabre family. Certainly did the trick. And along the way, read about the Pioneer DV 79AVI being a sleeping gem for SACD playback. Currently stuck in the US Postal system, looking forward to comparing it. Stay tuned for more tales from the rabbit hole…

I didn’t know that and nothing is mentioned on the eBay page. Anyway, I added the blue board and everything remained as it should. Left is left and right is right.

Just tried it on my DSD of Santana “Jingo”. Congo’s on the Right Channel, and Carlos Santana’s Guitar work on the Left Channel. Both my older green board with the blue board attached and the new green board with the HDMI In and out flipped with the blue board attached.

This is truly the Schxt ! Sony with true DSD capability (the DSSr. shows "DSD 64 1 Bit).

Thank God I missed out on the overpriced OPPO’s.

1 Like

Don’t give up on your BDP-83! You can send it back to Oppo for repair for a minimal charge.

Alternatively, you can fix it yourself as I’ve described here.

Thanks, been there, done that, still no disc. Just as well, sold the remote separately, and the 83 for parts which covered part of the 93. Already own a 105D for the HT, and the 93 I picked up is pristine with a better tray than the 83. Too bad the Oppomod stabilizer isn’t an option, a lot of darkness down here in the rabbit hole. Thought about the cheaper Sonys, but came across this Pioneer Elite 79. Really curious to see what reads transmits over HDMI with 1.3 and early 1.4.

Happily the Oppo is so much more than a SACD player :grinning:
The Oppomod work greatly improves a great player even at stock.

Shame they can’t be implemented for older models.

Well, so much for the Pioneer DV 79AVI. Great looking, very well built unit, certainly on a par with the Sony ES line. BUT, no dice sending any SACD signal over HDMI. Oppo 93 crushed it without an issue. Finally found some time last night to actually listen to Steely Dan DSD with some Focal Elegias through the new Topping A90 / D90 stack. Life will never be the same.

So, I have an Oppo BDP-83, a Topping D90 MQA and this board (came in a case) and I have spent all day trying to get some DSD love out of the combination.
Can you share the settings being used in the Oppo, settings on the D90 MQA, and the switch position on the extraction board? I have tried things every which way and no dice.

Thanks!

Wow, great looking case, I need to find one of those !
Suggest you open it and verify which board is actually in it. The eBay listing shows it with the old version, which will be problematic, refer back throughout this thread. Compare it with the new version documented here recently, easy plug and play.

New board…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-MHL-Input-Digital-Audio-I2S-Coaxial-Fiber-HDMI-to-I2S-IIS-HDMI-OVER-I2S/324024089544?hash=item4b71573bc8:g:5UoAAOSwJPxeBQxm

Closer look at the pics of the new board in that listing actually shows 3 different ones !
The first is the new one I’m using. Second and third look like a possible 3rd gen, last one with diagram is the original.

Interesting. Dig deeper. That board, pictured 2nd and 3rd, is listed separately and offers 7.1ch audio !

Here is the actual board. It passes 24/88.2 but I can’t get DSD recognized by my D90.