Getting Oppo DSD Output to the Direct Stream Dac

Nice, that’s the board.
From memory. Oppo HDMI in, monitor HDMI out to check settings, basic cables work. Need an HDMI 2+ for the II2S out to D90. Doesn’t require any external power.
D90 set to II2S input.
Adapter set to Amp, think Digital out also works
Oppo needs HDMI set to audio ON
SACD DSD, but the Auto also worked.
Try that, you’re close…

I tried all those things and no luck. What firmware are you running on the DAC? Are you running it in DAC or PRE mode? Thanks!

Pre mode, DAC also works. Original firmware and defaults on the D90, literally plugged in the cable, selected II2S. When it receives a signal, instantly switches from PCM to DSD. Most likely a setting on the Oppo. When I get some time, I’ll dig out a monitor and get the exact settings, but there’s not many to try. Think the biggest discovery was in the video section turning on HDMI for audio. Others discussed 2.0 vs 5.1 for output.

Great info. Thanks. There have been 2 firmware updates to the D90 MQA in the last month so I likely have a different version than you. I will see if I can go back to 1.22 (now at 1.24). I’ll let you know how it pans out.

Not trying to flip this thread on its head, but wondering if my 105 is capable of processing DoP. My DS is in the hospital, which is what I normally feed with DoP that I have burned onto DVD and played through my PWT. Is it possible to feed the OPPO in the same way until I get my DS back?

Does this post have enough acronyms? :grin:

Oppo 93 settings
SACD Stereo
DVD Audio
Primary Output HDMI
Resolution Source Direct
HDMI settings, Video only NO
HDMI Audio Auto
SACD DSD
HDCD On
HDMI CEC Off

Any luck getting the firmware rolled back ?
I don’t want to take a chance on new firmware disabling my set up.
Anyone else over on AS getting DSD on their D90 ?

Thank you, this is helpful. I haven’t had a chance to try again, but I will. I didn’t try a s/w rollback yet, I have not asked Topping for it yet. I’ll try soon.

Finally got my parts from Oppomod.com for my UDP-203. The modification was very simple. I did the I2S board which requires some Dremel cutting otherwise the other parts were plug and play. I did the upgraded power supply and the stabilizer plate. I haven’t had much time to do a full evaluation but the I2S does work with outputting DSD to my DirectStream DAC. The sound is great haven’t had time to compare to the bridge playing the same music and Dsf files.

Mods take some time to bed in I found, initially a bit shinier sounding with more detail than the Bridge I found?

With some time the sound fills out, detail increases and “correctness” gets spot on.

Hi Gary, I was looking for your post with the oppo settings. I think I’m set up correct I have everything set to DSD and bitstream. I also wanted to ask what size synergistic research fuse you used on the power supply?

Thanks, Paul

Does anyone know if the Oppo 203 as a transport only is an improvement over the Oppo 103? I’m thinking of going the Oppomod route as I can’t justify a DMP and would like to step away from my Yamaha CD-S2100 so I can run SACDs into my DSD.

I’ve tried searching the web but haven’t found anything that discusses transport noise levels, stabilization, or damping between these models. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Paul
sorry just saw this!

I’ll take a screenshot for you.

1 Like

I have a fully Oppomodded BDP-203 that takes care of all of that, but I never compared the outcomes to the I2S BDP-103 I had. I went to the 203 to have 4K BD support.

Had a 103D
Now have a fully Oppomod i2s 203

As a CD transport into Dac, same Dac and cables, the base 203 was significantly better sounding than the 103.
More growed up and involving, less “hifi” sound.
More higher end.

Not compared over i2s, but the 203 is better.

@gazjam Thanks for the direct comparison! That really helps me with my decision. Looks like oppomod has an additional stabilizer kit for the 203 only as well, so that is another reason to pursue that route.

So here’s another question. Has anyone compared between a fully modded oppomod 203 against a DMP? They get to be around the same price (used 203 + oppomod) vs used DMP.

Get the stabiliser, it works well.
More focussed soundstage, sharper picture on Blurays too.

…What, you can watch films on this thing too? :flushed:

I also use OPPO 203 modified with OPPOMOD connected with an old Audioquest HDMI 3 cable and despite the low gain from OPPO, the sound is very clean with an wide soundstage. This without installing the fentoclock from OPPOMOD. But it seems that the DS takes good care of the I2S signal without needing a fentoclock. Perhaps the video signal could benefits from it.

I was using an older AQ cable then I tried the Audioquest Coffee HDMI and the difference is a significant improvement. So much that I’m thinking of moving up to the AQ Diamond HDMI.

My board doesn’t swap left and right channels during DSD playback, and judging by the pictures on ebay it’s the new version, but it won’t output 4k video. I use the HDMI 2 audio only output from my Sony player, and the video direct to my projector, and it works, but my Nvidia Shield TV Pro has no such audio only hdmi output. Has anyone gotten one of these I2S adapters to work with 4k/hdr video from the board output? If anyone can help, thanks!!