Ground Lift & Shell Lift - Experience with DS MKII?

Perhaps QFD approach House of Quality. But I am a certified geek in that stuff but it is not necessary to overthink this stuff.

No, I can’t clarify that, I believe the result of each may be system specific.

I don’t think your model is correct, noise comes from the I2S inputs. That noise in the system isn’t necessarily propagated by the FPGA. Instead the noise is radiated from the I2S input all over the place. In any case FPGA 1 is the one in use and it’s the one closer to the center of the board.

XLR connectors and plugs have a shell which may of may not be connected to anything in the cable (probably the shield, but possibly nothing or perhaps even connected to the signal ground.)
The shell lift disconnects the ground connection of the shell of the XLR connector on the Mk II. What that means for sound quality is very dependent on the cable construction, especially the cable’s shield (if any), but also on the unit on the other side of the cable and perhaps how it’s wired and how that device deals with noise on the cable. [Edit: And of course, the shell lift may break a possible ground loop thru the shield of the cable (or whatever the shell is connected to in the cable) if the other end of that connection is connected to something electrically.]

6 Likes

Ha, I was certified too back in the day! Black Belt. Brings back memories.

1 Like

We are all over the places on the ground lifting tweak. It must be very system dependent. Luca has a similar setup to mine, but his favorite setup is quite different from mine too.

I either like grounding some inputs and lifting both shell & output or lifting inputs and ground output. But I do not like grounding everything or lifting everything. Very interesting!

3 Likes

I agree. The shell lift or output ground lift is very detrimental on mine. The galvanic input i2S1 isolation and silencing other i2S2 and USB are crazy impressive improvement. Way more 3D deeper bass and really more natural sounding. Digital sound is totally analog sounding.

1 Like

From Ted’s interview thread about DS MK2.

“Another feature I didn’t mention in the video is the ability to turn off the power for unused I2S or USB inputs. The UI to enable disabling of those power supplies will be in a new release somewhere near you in the next couple of months. Spread around the Mk II posts are reports of using shorting plugs on the I2S, USB and other digital inputs. Once again the results vary from nothing to very worthwhile.”

Shorting plugs for USB and i2s2. are only way to hear what I have been hearing with current release 2.3.3. Hopefully this feature to silence power supplies will not be buried in the UI sub menus and get remote buttons.

4 Likes

I just installed back the USB plug, and I think it is doing something. Anyway, the classical music I am listening to now sounds great, but it always sounds great.

Make sure ground to USB iis not lifted where shorting plugs are. Or on I2S2. You need to try both.

1 Like

I use both I2S so can use USB plug only (grounded).

I just meant temporary so you can see what both do. It is not subtle. At least you will know what new firmware will give you.

1 Like

I’m waiting for a set of shorting plugs and I was wondering if with those ones in the equation my grounded/lifted settings could change.

I2S #2 dedicated to PST, I’m going to keep it as it is (and lifted).

I’m still working on a definitive set up, between USB vs I2S.

If the streamer goes USB directly to MK II, I’m going to use a shorting plug on I2S #1 input.
If the Matrix is involved, I’m going to use the shorting plug on USB input.

Following my last experiments I prefer the used inputs lifted and the unused ones grounded.
Consequently the shorting plugs inputs will be grounded, almost at the very beginning.

Don’t know, for my lack of knowledge, technicality speaking, what happens when an input is simultaneously LIFTED and SHORTING PLUG plugged.

The electronics will not be silenced internally. Defeat purpose of shorting plug.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

That is also the reason why, when the UI will be ready, shorting plugs won’t be needed anymore because they will be replaced by the software setting, is it correct?

1 Like

Yes it is.

1 Like

Luca, guess what has landed in my mailbox today?

1 Like

Oh my, great tip. Just gave your approach a go after having all the active inputs isolated, shell and ground lifts on for a few days.

I like the added spaciousness but my ears got a bit tired, so I thought I’d give your settings a go.

Re-grounding the shell but brought much more dynamics into the sound. Much better lower end grip. Really nice resonance on the notes too.

A bit of a benchmark for me is how the stereo plays Daniel Barenboim, for Beethoven’s Pathetique. Delicate but then dynamic. It gets a fair run on our piano.

Best I’ve ever heard it on the stereo, with your recommended approach to isolation in the DS2.

Thanks for sharing!

RoonShareImage-638099032347448583

1 Like

Mmm… a love letter?

Let us know your thoughts.

1 Like

Glad to know… sometimes we give, sometimes we take. This is the reason why I’m liking this forum and all the crazy spoiled children involved!

2 Likes

Haha… no, the noise removal plugs.

1 Like

Its been a few weeks. I will admit I have not played with this yet. Wondering if others have finalized what they think sounds best.