Grounding

just wanted to give fellow DSD users a heads up that the machine benefits immensely from use of DIY or aftermarket signal grounding solutions. i had an OK electrical infrastructure to start with: dedicated lines, star-grounded, stake in the garden etc. i was playing around with stuff the other day and tried connecting the earth wire to the DSD chassis and there was a nice improvement. the system suddenly started doing great bass. the effect is similar to tilting the frequency response clockwise around 1000hz with greater bass and less treble harshness. try it.

Thanks, makfi. Interesting. Was that a ground line from a spare outlet, or did you run a separate line from your service or ground rod?

a ground line from a spare outlet. i prepared a one-prong mains plug and connected the other end to the DSD

i was watching the video for DirectStream Kit installation just for fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR_PFNuyc_k

in my own DSD which i bought brand new (and it was not an upgraded unit from an earlier perfectwave dac) , i have a green-yellow ground wire bolted to the top metal cover which i did not see in this upgrade video.

why is that so?

The green and yellow ground wire for the top is standard. Not sure why it’s not in the upgrade.

makfi said a ground line from a spare outlet. i prepared a one-prong mains plug and connected the other end to the DSD
Sounds interesting makfi. Any more info on how you did this? Photos maybe?

Thanks…

mark-d said

Sounds interesting makfi. Any more info on how you did this? Photos maybe?

Thanks…

Hi mark i am travelling this week. Will write about what I did next week. Lack of standards in grounding make it very hard to make generalizations. I understand ps audio directly wires signal and chassis grounds together (which is good practice by the way) but downstream equipment is sometimes affected by what is going on upstream. I do not have earth ground for the dsd (said to be dangerous) but connect the chassis to a rod in the garden with good results. Greetings from Italy