Gustard U12 i2s output

I’ve just purchased a Gustard U12 and i’d like to know if someone is using it via i2s output. I tried but my Jr. shows the pre-emphais “E” in the display.

Thanks in advance!

Jose Luis.

I had it on my wishlist, but as I read this I refused to pay more attention to it. Maybe the device is not compatible with the Jr.? But it should at least play some music, even if phase is reverted.

I have a Gustard U16 and I get the pre-emphasis flag as well using HDMI/I2s as well.

But Gustard U16 has an specific firmware to solve that problem, hasn’t it?

I’m using Toslink output and SQ is really good, but limited to 176.4 Khz.

Thanks, gb-70.

Probably you are right about PS i2s incompatility, just want to know if it is any firmware update or special cable to solve that issue. Anyway i’m surprissed with SQ via Toslink.

If you can cover up pin 15 on your hdmi cable on the end plugged into the gustard you should be able to get rid of the preemphasis.

1 Like

Thanks, Veneet!

1 Like

Just a tip, thin strip of electrical tape and an exacto knife helps slip the end inside to cover the pin

1 Like

Other than the visual of the “flag” is there a sonic downside to having the pre-emhasis flag triggered on the DS? I have to say that the U16 being fed by my Auralic Aries G2

Yes, big downgrade in all the high notes, and in general. It tones down everything. Do a quick compare if you have two inputs from the same source attached to the DAC, it’s crazy what it does. If you look further up the conversation on the link i sent I think Ted explains it. You have to get rid of the DS preemphasis flag

Thank you so much. This fixed the pre-emphasis issue I was having with my Gustard U16 and PS Audio Directstream DAC. It took a VERY thin piece of electrical tape to cover pin 15 and some finesse to get it placed properly. I wish there was a way @tedsmith could add a software option to ignore this flag in a future firmware/OS update if possible. I know it’s not Ted’s fault, but I had such problems even getting the manufacturer of my device to acknowledge this issue was related to their hardware, let alone have them attempt to fix it. They don’'t want to. So I guess in the mean time, the tape has to stay on the pin.

I am with you on the software tweak, would be great. I find it kind of funny that part of any reasonably decent system relies on tape! Mine does as well!

I wouldn’t mind if they even had a hdmi cable with that pin removed. I have seen an adapter on amazon that took out a different pin for some other reason.

Unfortunately it’s not my software that needs tweaked, it’s something handled by the display/control processor. An option to ignore preemphasis on a subset of the inputs isn’t a bad idea.

1 Like

Ahh, yeah that makes sense when I think about it. If you have the chance pass this idea along to the software guys who code the display/PIC? As always, I appreciate the response.

I considered modifying a HDMI port saver male to female adapter to disable the same output when I had this issue with the Titans Audio Lab Helen I2S output.

Did you cover with tape on both ends of the cable? Or just the side that plugs into the DS?
Thanks

I just put a piece of tape on the end that attaches to the Gustard U16. It shouldn’t matter which side you place the tape on unless you have a directional HDMI cable.

1 Like

For NONE DSD users: I have the Gustard U16 and am using its I2S out to a PS-Audio PWDac MkII via a standard HDMI cable. Works perfect and the sound to me is better than the Bridge (and I am a big Ethernet supporter). Gustard U16 is feed via a Raspberry Pi3/USB 2.0 as a ‘roon end point’ (this was only meant to be a temp fix as my reference streamer power supply failed). This simple set-up IMHO sounded better than that streamer.