Have you ever wondered how they made those great RCA Living Stereo recordings?

As with most manufacturing processes the end user has no idea how much money or equipment cost went into the process. All they want to do is complain about the price or performance for the price.
And then there is this bunch here that mostly don’t care about the cost if the results are acceptable and will regularly spend a few weeks worth of normal wages on a record player needle or a speaker wire. Myself included.

Great thread thank you guys…the videos and the following
discussions…amazing how it was done with the outstanding results!

I wonder if new vinyl labels take the same pain to inspect the entire
process as it was back in the RCA production line…?

My.02 probably not.perhaps someone here could shed some light on new
vinyl label companies and how they do their quality control…

Would be interesting to know…

Again thanks

We have kicked around the idea more than a few times. It always came down to after the fact marketing. The upfront process was intriguing, but then there was the “what do I do with this stack of 500 LPs?”. Now I understand there is a sub-set issuing music on cassette. Apparently due to “market demands”. Anyone want a cassette, I have a handful of promos, if I can figure out where I put them. Sorry to HiJack the thread, couldn’t resist. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

My experience is it depends. Local musicians who had runs of 500 LPs done were not satisfied with the quality due to recycled vinyl, paper in the pressings, underfill, warps, pops, scratches, scuffing from the inner sleeves, etc. The motivation for vinyl was market demand for a perceived listening experience exceeding that of CD. Regarding small batch pressings the cue for getting a pressing out is long, and quality varies substantially. United Pressing out of Nashville, and Rainbo out of Canoga Park come to mind. From what I recall Rainbo was offering 12" pressings in color jackets for $3,000/1000 units. I believe Rainbo is no more, from their website:

2019: Rainbo must close! Rainbo loses our lease and all production ceases on December 14th, 2019. United Record Pressing purchases the key vinyl equipment to bolster their already-flourishing pressing business in Nashville, TN.

1 Like

You could always park your car down at the mall next to the girl selling tacos out of the back of her van. :thinking:
Maybe some would want a record to go along with lunch. :grinning:
Marketing is a big issue that also add costs to any sales project.

I prefer a rented white van selling speakers, and record players next to the Korean Barbecue Taco van my daughter was running.
Best selling time was after Bar Closing…

We’d relabel these as the Dominator Mk VI:

I THOUGHT you looked familiar when I met you at RMAF!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nice.
The girl that does the housekeeping at my shop sells tamales and burritos out of her van on the weekends. They are really good and I think she does OK for herself. She is obviously a very energetic person and also very happy and proud to be a citizen of the USA.

1 Like

Sell ya some speeker kables, I’m done weldin today so thought you’d be interested. Just finished up the cryo treatment, left 'em on the back porch during the snow storm, so they should be good to go! A 24 hour Kryptonite enhancement adds $3.

1 Like

Thanks but doesn’t answer my question.

By the way…it’s not Living Stereo…but the same era…do you want to hear one of the best recorded piano concertos?

You should take the original or the Speakers Corner reissue.

1 Like

Read between the lines, short answer is no give or take a “Boutique Label” such as MoFi or APO.

Love the Taco Van. Americana at its best.

1 Like

Hard to make out intended answer due to ground clutter…