Help setting up directstream as preamp/dac

Did you connect it to the line-level input on the sub?

I connected each subwoofer, left and right, to the pre/DAC. The reason I’m adjusting the subwoofer instead of leaving it as I did in the Node 2i is because the volume control no longer adjusts the subwoofer power. It now stays fixed at the level set by the crossover on the subwoofer.

I understand about the volume level. What doesn’t make sense to me is how did you connect the sub to the PSA DAC.

The Left RCA out from the DS DAC should go to one of the left subwoofer line inputs and the right RCA to one of the right subwoofer line-level inputs. Once you have done that, you should be able to set the volume level of the subwoofer to match your speakers.

After that, the volume of the subwoofer should go up and down with the volume control on the DAC. However, because of the mismatch in output level between the XLR and RCA, I’m not sure if the levels of the sub will remain correct for the different volume levels as you raise and lower the volume on the DAC. You will need to experiment with that.

2 Likes

Sure, as long as the sub has fairly reasonable input impedance. We’d like to see 50kΩ or higher and you’re good.

1 Like

Thanks for all the support. I spent way past my budget, but my best friend introduced me to PS Audio.I found a dealer in Canada and bought the M700s that were on a trade-in and a refurbished DSD that I’m using as a preamp combo. I’m leaving the units on so they get some good burn-in while I figure out how to hook up the subs. So far, it sounds great, but it’s still missing something that’s not making my speakers sound magical. I have the magnepan 1.7i.

1 Like

Hi, so just to confirm, coax is the best way to connect the DS to my blue sound node 2i streamer?

Looking at the specifications of the Node, it seems you only have 2 output options that are compatible with the DS DAC: TOSLINK or Coax.

When I look at the specifications of the DS DAC I see this:

Notice that the Coax has more capabilities than TOSLINK. So I would say Coax is your best option.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that missing something is likely a preamp. And with Class D amps a tubed one.

1 Like

I would agree with this

1 Like