Here’s what I’m looking for

I just learned from Jos of Magna HiFi that the Mano will not pass DSD128 over DoP to the DS via I2S. DSD64 works, but DSD128 will not. Not sure why.

Does anyone know if there is a device that can successfully pass DSD128 to the DS over the I2S input?

After just finding and reading this thread, my concern is that you are painting yourself into a corner with your list of wants/must haves. It is still sort of the Wild West in ServerVille, and buying something based primarily on what it connects to in specific ways really limits your choices - perhaps entirely - in this case/at this point. And even if acheivable, that will not be a guarantor of good sound.

I hear you, beef, and I won’t argue against that possible outcome. But at some point I’d like to try and limit the growing extra bit and pieces of my system. I just added a linear DC dual motor rim drive to my turntable, for example. That alone has added five additional boxes of various types plus cables - and that’s not counting the actual rim drive! On the digital side I’ve already got switches, copper to fiber converters, other do-dads all with their own little power supplies. The last thing I need is two or three more boxes just to get a DSD128 signal to the DAC. :worried:

I’ll need a whole separate equipment rack to hold just the stuff that doesn’t have an audio signal going through it.

1 Like

I hear you. I got an Aries G1 in part to eliminate all of the wires, boxes and power supplies I’d added to the prior Mini-based server setup. Now I’m sorta back there again - albeit in a better place functionally and sonically. But when I see companies from Auralic to dCS, et al, splitting everything into separate boxes… :man_shrugging:t2:

The Mano Ultra via i2s into the DS is wonderful.
It comes with piCore/LMS which plays most every service except Amazon. I enjoy Qobuz,. BandCamp and SoundCloud.

Or instead you can load Volumio, Moofe or whatever inferior RasPi player you prefer.
The best thing it does that the Bridge does not is play local file vis USB. Mine are on SSD.

But it won’t do more than DSD64, possibly DSD128, through I2S, is this correct?

I’ll have to check. I primarily listen to DSD64 from ripped SACDs. I can’t hear much, if any difference and the files are huge. Storage space is not the issue. Copying time is. I usually load my SSDs over WiFi which is much slower than USB 3.

K