High Resolution iTunes in June?

Take with a very large grain of salt:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/10/high-definition-itunes-music-downloads/

This has been hinted at for a while, so maybe it’s finally time. One interesting side note, on the side of the web page was a link to an article saying “Mac Mini is overdue for an update. So, don’t buy one yet”. Hope Paul doesn’t see that!

This rumor has popped up several times in the past. Hence the large grain of salt. Interesting that the article does not even mention rebook downloads.

The Mini is way over due. Macrumors’ Buyers’ Guide page keeps track of how long since the last update and the average refresh cycle for Apple devices. Always a good idea to check it before buying.

If Apple would be offering ALAC downloads, I’m not sure that would be of high interest to the audiophile market.

That might discourage some people but it’s easy to convert ALAC to FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc. If they actually offered the high res files for a reasonable premium ($1 per track would be too much I think) I suspect a lot of people would be willing to do the conversions. Note, though, that I am not holding my breath on this one. That said, it may be one of the things they are considering given the disappointing results they’ve had with iTunes Radio.

Question…

When hd tracks gives us the CHOICE of download formats, are THEY not just transcoding ONE master file into the requested format with th JRiver engine?

Gordon said: When hd tracks gives us the CHOICE of download formats, are THEY not just transcoding ONE master file into the requested format with th JRiver engine?

Very interesting question. I suspect it might depend on the label; some might prefer to do all conversions themselves to maintain control over SQ and metadata, while others might just let HDtracks do it.

Why do you assume they use JRiver? Are you thinking of the fact that their download manager is developed by JR?

@magister0

Yes.

Jriver does a lot of custom work and may even have some patents.

It is not logical for a vendor to keep every format in storage so therefore the transcoding to the purchased format. Another possible variety in our hobby?

Unless, of course, bits really are bits? Who really knows? : -)))