How DEEP Does Your Bass Go?... are you sure?? (~;

a 20 cycle note needs 56.5 ft wavelength to fully develop…a 30 cycle note needs 37.6 ft…40 Hz note needs 28.25 ft…a 60 Hz note needs 18.83 ft.

**source: http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm

(a calculator)

or snapshot below:

Wavelengths In Our Rooms

gotta love those harmonics though…

(~;

In my case I don’t have a sealed room, behind the right speaker are two bass traps filling 3/5 of the doorway vertically, from the bottom. Near the back of the room on the right side I have an open doorway to the kitchen.

While my speakers specs are as I remember 16hz - 30khz +/- 2hz. Using a test record I have audible bass down to 25hz, it is down by more than 10hz, but considering the room I know what bass I have. The accuracy of the measurements is based on an SPL app, not calibrated, but I start at 1000hz at 80db. Even if it is off, I’m hoping the built in mic is flat, but if not with a test CD I can hear the 25hz tone, but not the 20hz.

Each speaker has three 12" woofers, they are ported, but I have the ports plugged, which is probably interfering with overall quantity of bass, but I prefer the tighter bass of the quasi sealed enclosure. In a different room with no treatments I had boomy bass. That is when I began to learn about room treatments, and proper placement.

If I ever come in to enough money to do my home repairs, or move to a better area, and home. I would buy either the Legacy Aeris or the Vandersteen 5A. Both have powered bass with lots of adjustability. Of course if by the luck of the lottery Gods, I would make point of hearing the Sonus Faber Aida. Amps would either be top of the line Coda, or BHK 300s.

Odds are I will die still owning my 1997 Legacy Focus, unless I end up in an assisted living home, then I might be forced to downsize to a headphone system. No idea there, as I am not fond of headphones. I have a pair of Grado 60 that sat in the box for so many years the foam ear pieces dried out and crumbled. I put new pieces on, verified that the Benchmark did work with phones, and haven’t used them since. I did have a pair of Koss sport phones that I used at the gym. I lost those in a break up. She used them more than I did, and when I asked for them back, she brought over some junk that weren’t mine, so I said just keep them.

Your chart doesn’t consider that the waves bounce around, or that you can get good bass out of expensive headphones. There is a lot more to it than the length of the waves, but it is an interesting chart.

jeffstarr said Your chart doesn't consider that the waves bounce around, or that you can get good bass out of expensive headphones. There is a lot more to it than the length of the waves, but it is an interesting chart.
This. In a nutshell.

In fact, if length of open space limited frequency response, headphones would be good for frequencies exceeding 10,000Hz (the wave length of a 10,000Hz tone is 0.11 feet).