How do you purchase your music downloads?

Thanks!
DoP is DSD over PCM, right? A way to package DSD through a PCM DAC, I guess?

“I found this bit…” Good one! :smiley:

Yes, and the DSD is fully restored at the endpoint.
It was a way to get around the Sony copyright infringement issue of not being allowed to transmit DSD from one device to another. But you’re still getting DSD sound using DoP. PS Audio has a special agreement with Sony that allows DSD transfer from PS Audio source to PS Audio DAC, so that SACD can be fully heard using a better individual source component and a better individual DAC, versus an all-in-one-box solution.

2 Likes

I would like to mention that I just got a couple of new downloads from Octave Records and if you like the previous (Say Somethin’) Gabriel Mervine, you’ll like these two. Sonically both are excellent, but I do prefer musically (See Somethin’) to (I Wish You Love). The latter’s rhythmic tunes just grabs me more emotionally.

I only get DSD256 downloads if avalible even though it cost a little more and take up more hard drive space simply because of all the formats, it comes closest to my reference vinyl payback in presentation and resolution.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you liked them.

I just ordered both on SACD this afternoon and I am looking forward to ripping and spinning them.

From my sampling of the tracks on the web site, I also prefer the music on “See Something”. But I like to support the efforts at Octave Records, so I buy everything they release. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just wish Octave Records was still offering DSD data discs along with the dual layer discs so I could rip both the CD layer and the .dsf file. That was standard for quite a while.

1 Like

Why can’t you rip both the CD and DSD files? I thought both were possible.

Nope. Not without some creative tinkering with some hot rodded OPPO players or other interesting gizmos.

If I have overlooked something (I use dBpoweramp Music Converter), I would be glad to be corrected. I think I can covert the CD layer to DSD but I can’t literally pull the .dsf data from the SACD and save it on my networked attached storage devices (iMac and Synology NAS).

Anyone here know otherwise…?

So you haven’t gone thru the Sony DVD player route to convert the SACD to .dsf files yet?

Nope. Have you managed it?

Yes, I have converted most of my SACDs. It’s really easy once you get it set up.
Go to Ripping SACDs and check it out.

2 Likes

Upon further sampling of See Something on the PS Audio Octave Records pages, I think its a great recording!

I’ll be checking the tracking status of my shipment frequently now.

Cheers.

Guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy an old Sony DVD player.

I have a couple of old Denon “universal players” laying around the house. Any chance these can pull off the same trick as the Sony players?

1 Like

Tom Gibbs, in his Copper article (Down the Rabbit Hole of SACD Ripping and DSD Extraction – PS Audio), lists a number of different brand models that can perform this trick. :wink:

1 Like

This thread reminded me… some places to get DSD content outside the US:

UK & EU

Chasing the Dragon
Highresaudio (use a VPN to bypass country restrictions, this is how I bought the DSD64 of James Taylor’s JT which I linked here)

Japan:

Onkyo
mora.jp
Ototoy
Stereo Sound - These aren’t downloads per se but they sell BD-ROMs that contain DSD256 files.

Purchasing the Japan-only distributions is a little tricky but some of the music is worthwhile. If there’s interest let me know and I can write up a how-to guide.

1 Like