Ripping SACDs

I read Tom Gibbs article in the Copper Magazine, “Down the Rabbit Hole of SACD Ripping and DSD Extraction” and all I can say is this was too easy! Gone are the days of Play Stations with only a specific level of firmware updates.

I picked up a cheap, used Sony Blu-ray from Tom’s list, downloaded the open source software and was backing up my SACDs across the network in no time. Tom’s instructions are very clear and concise.

Here’s a link if anyone is interested:

Down the Rabbit Hole of SACD Ripping and DSD Extraction – PS Audio).

3 Likes

Exactly. I bought two Sony’s on eBay. One is a backup. I assume their is going to be a time when they will disappear from the marketplace.

1 Like

I bought the Sony player, and downloaded the program. It worked great for one month. Then I did a update on my PC, and it did not work anymore. I used a new USB, but it still would not run.

Smart thinkin’ Vince!

dchang05, I’m wondering if Windows reset the firewall? I had to go into the firewall setting and make 4 rules. Two incoming TCPP and UDP rules for port 2002, and two outgoing rules, TCP and UDP for port 2002.

2 Likes

It is very likely the cause. Thanks!

1 Like

Rob_W,

If you’d like to see more on this topic, also refer Ripping SACDs: Means and Methods

2 Likes

Another RIPer here. First started w/my Oppo BDP-105 but picked up a couple of Sony’s for around $50, ea, to eliminate the demand on the more costly Oppo. Plus, ensure I have something if/when capable players are hard to find.

The Sony’s have built-in wifi, so I just pull one out of the closet and rip as a standalone player to my PC on the home network. Occasionally, something will glitch, I’ll power cycle the Sony and it’s back to business.

Troubleshooting tip…if your PC is low on storage, the rip will error out on the tracks it hasn’t completed. Really confused me the first time as I didn’t realize I was running out of storage. ISO files are in the low gig range and I’ve speculated self expanding Windows swap files gobble up storage during RIP’s. Usually happens when I have a couple of discs I’ve done in one sitting. Creating the .DSF files after the ISO rip compounds the problem.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips @jaycee

1 Like

I have ripped about 60 or so. I have not bought many new since then. So many good downloads. I know Japan keeps them going, but how much longer before its all download? I know many think spinning sounds better, but I ended up selling my Oppo. I still have the cheapo sony for the ripping when something new I want comes out that is not hires online. Just the time is probably coming.

1 Like

One of the not so clear points from the Copper Mag aritcle is how to format the drive with DOS MBR and FAT32.

There is a free utility called Rufus. Download the latest version and run it and pick the options as shown below:

Then click start.

1 Like

I recently bought an SACD from MoFo for $29. I’m in Canada so tack on another $25 for DHL. Then on top of that, the DHL scoundrels charged me $25 CDN for import and duty fees. This is the most expensive SACD I’ve ever bought. Normally I buy from DisCogs and if the seller in in the US, he pops it in the mail and I get it duty free.

Yes, I like the download route. I’ve even bought a few from Octave.

2 Likes

That’s what I used and it worked like a charm.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Rob! Many returns of the day in good health and happy listening!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Rob!

1 Like

Thanks for the b’day wishes folks :boom:

4 Likes

Happy birthday @Rob_W

1 Like

We audiophiles are young at heart, Happy Birthday!

2 Likes

Of course we are! Usually, people age from the bottom up, whatever that means:- knees, back, etc. :joy:

2 Likes