HQPlayer and the Directstream. Settings?

Not really. USB with or without SDM had nothing on it.

Hi everyone, this is a great thread…

i am about 24hrs in to using HDPlayer ==> Matrix X ==> DSD… here are my settings. Seems to be working very well and I’ve experienced a noticeable boost in sound quality.

Since you are DSD, you should try;

• compare the upsampling to PCM and DSS (SDM). To do this, change the “default output module” to SDM (when you do this, you will output all your music in DSD format)
  • when using PCM, try going to 352.8khz. Change the sample rate limit for this
    -when using DSD (SDM) try going to DSDx2. Change the bit rate limite to 44.1k x 128
  • set the vol max to -3.0db, to give the filters some headroom. You should always do this to avoid digital clipping
  • change the DAC bits to 24 (not mandatory)

Don’t forget to experiment with the various filters. Poly-sync-ext2 seems to be a very popular option these days.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll give these a go.

I did find with 352.8 I experienced a little more clipping / glitching but I’ll reduce the Volume max to see if that helps.

One other thing I’ve found since using HQPlayer is my remote (Roon via IPhone) isn’t as responsive as it use to be. I’m thinking it’s because the computer is working harder and reduced some settings to help a little.

Note that some hqplayer filter are long, and take a while before start playing. In some cases, it could take 5-10seconds. So, instead of lowering the target sample rate/bit rate, try experimenting with the filters

1 Like

Thanks again. I’ll give that a go too.

Just another thought. Have you read Ted Smith’s post from earlier in this topic last year? In summary he wrote that technically pre-upsampling is not required because the DS DAC upsamples both PCM and DSD inputs already more efficiently than apps on a general purpose computer can. He does add the caveat that if it sounds better then go for it! :yum:

I briefly tried it but ended up setting up HQPlayer so that it just acted as a passthrough agent. I wasn’t happy about the amount of processing power required and really didn’t want to spend the money on an isolated, audio-quality computing device.

Despite that, I’m still really, really happy with the way my system currently sounds without any upsampling or filtering at the HQPlayer end. :grin:

1 Like

Hi @MikeK - was it this one?

I found this to be quite useful and it pushed me away from upscaling too heavily in HQPlayer.

I like @tedsmith’s ‘follow your ears’ approach. I think it is spot on as the science doesnt always ring true in Hifi.

1 Like

This is interesting. I’ve used HPQe for a few years now with the DS. My server has an IS2 output board that is limited by its chipset to 192PCM and I’m perfectly fine with this.

I most often prefer poly-sinc-xtr-mp with NS9 to take off that bit of glare less than stellar recordings often have…stuff from the 80s mostly and stuff from the loudness mastering wars…

While it’s not terribly effective pre-upsampling, I think the noise shaper is what I like over the DS straight.

I go back to just passthrough in HQPe from time to time and forget that I’ve done that hours or days later and wonder why the upper frequencies have lost their smoothness. My tinnitus kicks in and bugs me.

My ears tell me it’s better.

1 Like

I too prefer to use HQPlayer to upsample All my PCM and DSD64 tracks to DSD128 vs letting the DSD do it internally. It just sounds better to my ears.

1 Like

Same here, prefer HQPlayer upsampling everything to DSD128…

NS9 also sounds best in my system, taking off that bit of glare is a nice description.

NS9 is for upsampling to PCM. When upsampling to SDM, I use ASDM7EC.

You’re right, I was referring to Brett’s PCM settings.

I also use ASDM7EC for DSD output.

I’ve been lurking here for years and was finally triggered to sign up because of HQP, and bumping this back up.
Started using HQP yesterday and played around with different settings and have settled on poly-sinc-gauss asdm5ec to 2xDSD input to the Jr for well recorded music. poly-sinc-gauss-long for loudness version digital. Still have more toying to do with asdm7ec but that has a lesser affect than gauss.

I’ve not heard the Jr sound this good. No offense meant to Ted. I’ve enjoyed the heck out of the Jr. Got it with Snowmass, into Windom, and now Sunlight. This just took it the Jr to the next level. Wish I could swing a regular DS to try.

ASDM7EC is magic! I upsample all PCM and DSD to DSDS256 using it and poly-sinc-ext2…

That’s using DS’s I2S input?

That or USB….

The new ASDM7ECv2 modulator is the bomb!

Which version are you using? Desktop or Pro version? Thanks!

I am using HQPlayer Embedded on a sonicTransporter i9.

1 Like