'I Like the Music, But Not the Musician'

Duane and Bobby Whitlock is Layla lp. Yes, I said it.

2 Likes

So I guess what we’re all saying is that EC should be unplugged! :thinking:

7 Likes

I only scanned some of the responses here, but didn’t notice any mention of Ike Turner.

As far as Ted Nugent, I’d buy his music just BECAUSE of his pro civil rights positions.

1 Like

Kudos for being the first person in the thread to mention Ike Turner.

Regarding Ted Nugent, he is leading the thread poll as the biggest jerk in the history of rock (I voted for Roger Waters, but I thought seriously about voting for the Motor City Madman).

2 Likes

I’d have Ted over for dinner if he would like, but I’d prefer to go out and shoot our machine guns together.

3 Likes

@Suds, Say a little after dinner entertainment with Ted, something along the lines of:

1 Like

I heard that joke about 40 years ago, but told about Herbert von Karajan. :wink:

2 Likes

That’s certainly a classic, but I’m partial to this…

2 Likes

It’s safe to say I would not let him near (much less into) my house

7 Likes

One of my favorite Renaissance composers, Carlo Gesualdo, was a man given to fits of rage, jealousy, and depression. Gesualdo caught his first wife Donna D’Avlos in bed “flagrante delicto” with her lover and he promptly killed both of them with sword and pistol. The officials who inspected the crime scene found the bodies to have been run through with the sword far more times than was necessary for simple murder. As he was the son of a prince, his position in life meant he paid no legal consequences for the act. He was alleged to have abused his second wife to point she ran away for good. Later in life he hired a servant whose sole purpose was to beat him daily as he sat on a stool. It is widely speculated his depression and behavior later in life was driven by a desire for forgiveness for his violent impetuous behavior in his youth.

5 Likes

Not a lot of people know that😳

1 Like

A through and interesting review of Alex Ross’ Wagnerism Art and Politics in the Shadow of Music

The Book:

The review:

Sunday Arts: Wagnerism - The D&O Diary

1 Like

That was a well written review, thanks for the link. I’ve enjoyed reading Alex Ross’ website “The Rest is Noise” for a long time.

1 Like

Lest we forget Herbert von Karajan.

1 Like

Indeed.

Interesting essay, with an even more interesting Reader Comments section.

1 Like

We likely all know about Ryan Adams’ demise with the “Me too” movement - but for those of us who grew out of the same music scene as him… well, lets put it this way, even though I’m male, that didn’t surprise me in the least. He burned every bridge ever built for him and some he built himself.

So can I separate his music from the musician?

Nope.

In honor of Ted Nugent winning the above poll.

1 Like

My only (civil) response to the author of that article would be…if you have a problem with it, don’t listen to that music. Beyond that, mind your own business, and leave others to make their own choices.

Freedom of expression, and freedom of choice. These don’t seem like they should be difficult concepts to grasp, but a large chunk of society seems to be struggling with them recently.

3 Likes

If you dug up dirt on just about anyone, you’d probably find something you didn’t like about them. When it comes to musicians, I can’t think of any I strongly dislike enough that I wouldn’t listen to their music. I don’t need to like them personally, to enjoy their musical talent.

2 Likes