'I Like the Music, But Not the Musician'

Speaking of Van Morrison and his some of his recent attitudes, is “March Winds in February” a sincere song about climate change, or is he being sarcastic? As in, “ooh, a temperate winter in the Côte d’Azur - what an awful challenge for everyone” (as he rolls his eyes).

Uh oh yet again … big fan of much of EC’s music, but this is getting ridiculous:

5 Likes

As a guitar player who knew every brilliant Clapton solo fifty years ago, I can’t understand how he can still be playing the same pentatonic scales in an occasional different key today? If he doesn’t want to play, it’s up to him. 1-4-5…1-4-5…1-4-5…1-4-5…----key change!

6 Likes

I wonder about the “god” reputation of several guitarists, he’s one of them.

3 Likes

@jazznut Reminds me of an old joke:

A man dies and goes to Heaven. Saint Peter shows him around. They pass a thin woman with long hair and round tinted eyeglasses belting out the blues. The deceased man says to Saint Peter, “let me guess, Janis Joplin?” “Correct,” Saint Peter responds. They continue walking and pass a man with a large Afro and psychedelic clothing wailing on guitar. “Jimi Hendrix?”, the deceased man says to Saint Peter. “Right again,” Saint Peter replies. Next, they pass a man with long white hair and a long white beard playing fast blues licks on a Fender Stratocaster. “Eric Clapton?”, the deceased man guesses. “No,” says Saint Peter. “That’s God; he just thinks he’s Clapton.”

8 Likes

Eric Clapton lost his relevance and musical authority some where after Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. He was a bit of a sell out after that. I can’t imagine seeing him live now, Geezer Rock to these ears.
Time to spin that which I own, no more coin for Eric C:

2 Likes

Back when Clapton was “god”, he was breaking new ground. He had his own unique sound & style. He told a story with his solos. He was brilliant in his use of chords and double stops within the body of his solos. His solos ebbed and flowed; lots of tension and release. I often wonder why inventiveness stops over time with musicians.
Too bad Zappa died. I’d bet he would be brilliant and unrecognizable from the original today.

4 Likes

Yes, he was innovative and worth listening to. His early recordings remain worth listening to.

But then, sadly, he began phoning in his performances.

Clapton’s strength, to these ears, was the tension created within Cream, what with all the EGO of Bruce, Baker, and Clapton. Clapton owes credit to

4 Likes

Agree that I would not pay to see EC live today regardless of his vaccination politics, but IMO he made some good music after LaOALS (which is one of my favorite albums by anyone). For example, Eric Clapton’s Rainbow Concert (recorded Jan. 1973) and Just One Night (recorded Dec. 1979). Even Live in San Diego (recorded Mar. 2007) has many great moments.

2 Likes

I’m most comfortable thinking it’s corporate pressure that kills the creative “vegus” nerve. Maybe Vegas kills the vagus.

4 Likes

After Layla I pretty much was drilling down a deep jazz hole, and passed on most “popular” music of the '70s, for better or worse. With LaOALS, Duane had a lot of appeal for me. Truly a great album.

3 Likes

Burn-out and the need to keep the Mercedes or is it Maserati fueled…

2 Likes

OK–here comes the hate-------In my opinion, the best thing Duane ever did was his brilliant rhythm playing behind Layla.

1 Like

Never thought of it that way, Still appreciate his Fillmore work.

2 Likes

Great album that I just ordered on vinyl but too many cringe-worthy moments even if it was live.

… and here I always thought that was the point…

1 Like

Post Layla we had EC basically beyond chilled out vice a fave of a different color,

with a strong taste for Cola…

There is a very big distinction and good for you for raising it.

1 Like

E. Clapton has been stuck making the same lousy music for over ne50 years. He was never a top notch songwriter and vocalist. I argue he should have been regarded as a very good guitarist and more of a session player. Yet, his management,publicists,etc. helped elevate him to a much higher status. Cream was predominantly Bruce and Baker. Clapton has been making 461 Ocean Blvd for nearly 50 years. Painful !