Improvement over Nucleus+ to Matrix SPDIF2

So right now I’m streaming from a Nucleus+ via USB to Matrix SPDIF2 to DSS vis i2s… and it does sound pretty darn good. Would a roon endpoint streamer improve upon the current setup? Is there a streamer that doesn’t cost as much as a small car (Grimm is out in other words…) that has i2s output.

Or should I replace the Matrix with another DDC?

1 Like

I am going to add one of these as an endpoint for a second system. I wont have the system together for some weeks wet but it seems like a very good unit and is a “streamer” only with no storage or other overhead to drag along. Someone here in the forum has one and led me to the site but I have forgotten who.

3 Likes

Thanks @Baldy. That’s kind of what I was afraid of… looks awesome, but I just don’t know if spending $5k is reasonable. Unless the sound improvement is spectacular of course.

I will keep the Nucleus as a core no matter what. Just off loads everything else and makes it run faster and more stable (at least that’s my impression).

1 Like

I went the Auralic route but I still use the Matrix for I2S so I can enjoy my DSD 256. I was using the Nucleus the same way you are. It is good but the Auralic has much better sound quality IMO.

3 Likes

Thanks @paul172. That’s kind of what I thought would be the case. I guess I need to get a streamer in the future. The rest of the system is easily up for it…

1 Like

Silent Angel also makes a well respected streamer for less money but I would rather buy made in USA if possible.

I agree. But @audiojan, the Auralic as an endpoint for the Nucleus would be a similar waste of money. What I believe is a big chunk of what sounds better in this equation is no Roon.

3 Likes

I tried several endpoints with Roon Core running on a NUC w/Farad LPS and a Nucleus Plus w/Farad and settled on a Signature Rendu SE.

The only “endpoint” that came close was using a Lumin U1 Mini. But it needs an iOS device which I don’t have and I felt like I would have been paying for a lot of functionality that I wasn’t going to use.

2 Likes
1 Like

I forgot to mention that I also ended up hearing no difference between I2S and USB. I used a KTE SU-2 for the USB to I2S conversion from the Rendu.

3 Likes

Point taken. The Auralic Lightning DS does sound better than Roon playing thru the Auralic.

3 Likes

This ???

I currently use matrix and nucleus to DAC

1 Like

Stack Audio Link II | The Ear (the-ear.net)

More praise!

1 Like

But you can buy an iOS device (second hand if you like) for just £€$¥200-300 (ok, perhaps not ¥ :smile: ) and use it just as your control point. So that’s no reason not to get one in my view.

1 Like

Second the Rendu option. I too have the Signature SE, but there are less expensive options to gain from the use of the optical conversion and keep the noisy network off the streamer.

1 Like

My concern with the Mano Ultra is that’s limited to DSD64… I do have a fair bit of DSD128 files that I’ve bought and is on an a SSD in the Nucleus+.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I’m going to stick with Roon. It’s a superb interface making it super easy to fully integrated files on my SSD, Qobuz and Tidal. As a lifetime subscriber, I think Roon is non-negotiable.

3 Likes

Right - you either use it or not. I agree it is wonderful for what it does. It is unfortunate that it comes with a sonic penalty. Though it depends on the system - in my 2nd system I wouldn’t necessarily say it is a liability. It pleasantly rounds off some shiny aspects.

1 Like

I would rather not have another OS to learn and maintain. I don’t know why Lumin has limited their app to iOS. The OS adoption world-wide is 70/30 Android/iOS. Perhaps the target audience ratios are skewed vice versa.

I agree. I have spent a good bit of time trying various gear between the Roon Core and the DS to get the best sound I can achieve. I settled with very good DC for the Core, a fiber path to the Rendu, and a really good USB cable to the DS. It turns out to be the most elegant (least amount of parts) solution and sounds by far the best I have heard so far.

I’m very curious to try the AirLens.

2 Likes