Interesting observation about Linn recordings

Got it.

I bet dBpoweramp simply decodes the FLAC file. But I am happy to check if you would like - now that I have the spectrogram software figured out for the purpose.

Hey, if you could that would be great. Thanks!

Woo-hoo! I looked through my old stash and found two more cake boxes of T-Y 74 minute CD-Rs! I thought I was out.

Yes!

Sometimes karma is good. I reburned my two planned CDs on those last two (I thought) that I had. One of them tested out with C2 errors! A T-Y!!! Pulled one off one of the found stacks and now I have two ready to go for RMAF.

A good discovery, but odd.

@TedSmith - Ted, I’m sure I read something about this many years ago but do high C1 errors affect CD audio transports any more that CD computer drives? It had me wondering since most audio transports (not the PWTlaugh) pull data off the disc in straight real time. Had me wondering if the controller for audio transports was smart enough to deal with correctable C1 errors.

Sorry I don’t have any specific experience in this area. I’d guess that most drives fix C1 errors at a low level. If you aren’t aware of it: the real problem is that audio CDs don’t really have much higher level error correction - it was presumed that they wouldn’t have time to use it since they had to be real time. Data CDs obviously have fairly reasonable error correction - and a transport can use it if it has a big enough buffer to bridge the time taken to correct errors. Heck these days that buffer doesn’t have to be very big at all unless you are doing re-reads.

Great read , but most of the tech talk is above my pay grade for sure. One. Good reason is reading this why I do not upsample or downsample period. It neve improves this for me it just changes the sound texture. I downloaded an album at dsd 64 before accident so I had to buy it again at dsd 128 clearly there was an improvment. But what really confused my small brain was if I downsampled the dsd 128 to 64 they did not sound the same as the one I bought at dsd 64. And I used both Korg and DB poweramp. I play all music as it is. It just sounds right to me and my small brain. Great read though .

al