Is it worth it to buy a DirectStream ONLY for Tidal and Spotify streaming? (Currently using a Node 2i)

When you make claims that Spotify sounds “horrible”, yes, you sound like a snob. How’d you fare on that blind sound test?

That’s my opinion. That ok with you?

Sure, that doesn’t mean I have to agree with you though. I posted a thorough response as to why I think you’re wrong and you reply with just a few words as a retort. If you’d like to change my mind, please feel free to tell me why I’m wrong in claiming Spotify does not sound “horrible”.

Corporate, commercial and banking law. A few years back there were three more high end stores selling speakers by Martin Logan, Triangle (wonderful french speakers that I still have two pairs), Boston Acoustics, Infinity and also tube amplifiers (Jolida), and high end turntables, ohh and there was also a store that sold NAD equipment. They all close because of low sales. The only two stores that still exist have been for years and have strong partners with a lifetime in the business.

I know there are many people how love high end audio in the country but I guess they all do like I do, I mean, they buy some equipment here and the other online on a trial and error basis or by hearing the equipment in USA or Europe and then sending back the equipment to the country.

I did this with the Cayin tube amplifier and now that the sound doesn’t suit my needs and I can’t return it, I will try to sell it here although I don’t have my hopes too high. I’ll guess I’ll keep it as a souvenir in some part of my house with a pair of very sensitive bookshelf speakers.

Best regards,

You are correct, Spotify does not sound horrible to you, through your system. Never disputed that.

You still never answered my previous question.

I can’t tell a difference through a bluetoothe speaker, that’s the only place I would listen to spotify. I don’t need, or want, Spotify. Please enjoy your Spotify! Not sure why you would use it, Tidal and Qobuz are both better services, with plenty of content.

A comment like this tells me you’ve probably never used Spotify. The reason I use Spotify (despite having both Qobuz and Tidal) is because the complete opposite is true of your last sentence. Spotify is dramatically better in terms of music available, diversity of artists, and it has some of the best pre-made playlists and on-the-fly radio stations available anywhere. Their mobile and desktop applications are also FAR more intuitively well laid out. Spotify Connect is also used everywhere. You can’t get this same kind of usability with either Qobuz or Tidal.

But yes, I’m sure your system is so much more resolving than mine that I just can’t hear the huge difference you refer to. Please read that last sentence with sarcasm.

1 Like

I use Roon, and, I’m quite happy. Why do you insist I must agree with you?
I’m sure your system sounds great.

I didn’t say you had to agree with me. I’m just correcting facts.

Also, I use Roon too… Spotify is still better.

I use Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play and of course Tidal. The other ones are not still in the country.
Although Tidal sound is superior I LOVE Spotify and one of the main reasons is because how well curated they have their playlists. Those are better than all the others and also Spotify has a strong community of user that share their self made playlists with everyone and amongst those playlists there are some made by users with a lot of knowledge, even more than what the employees of the streaming companies have.

Precisely. Spotify also has a LOT more music. Millions and millions more songs available compared to either Qobuz or Tidal.

I was really talking about SQ, when I said it sounds horrible. I’m not really interested in listening to 320 kb files on my semi resolving system, because it doesn’t sound very good to my ears. Good enough for you?

When you get around doing that blind sound test on your system, do let me know how you made out.

Not going to happen.

Are you afraid of what you might hear? Or I suppose what you won’t.

Dude, I think Spotify has LOW SOUND QUALITY, I’m not interested in lowering my standards, Thank you.

Perhaps you should consider that my system might be, quite a bit more resolving than yours. I’m not sure. You seem to be though. I know yours is a $30,000 system.

I’m not sure what’s more ridiculous, your argument based on you never actually listening to Spotify or your veiled attempt to make it sound as if any $30,000 2-channel setup (not just mine) wouldn’t be able to show the so-called “horrible” sound quality that Spotify has. If it were as bad as you say, wouldn’t a $20 pair of headphones be able to discern the difference?

I know you like to think of yourself as “better”, which is why someone like you would never sink so low as to use lossy audio. So I guess you’re right, you probably shouldn’t lower your standards.

Dude, you are quite self righteous aren’t you! I have heard many many audio formats and file sizes, I don’t need you to educate me.
What I am suggesting is, I can tell the difference between redbook and 88.2k hi res files, much less 192k or 352. I don’t really care if you like it or not, 320Kbs does not compare to Hi Res in my ears. I’m glad that is sufficient to you, but, not for my money!