Is There Any Point To Entry Level Vinyl?

Welcome back!

1 Like

Good choice on components… I’m a huge fan of Schiit, have a few of their products.

Welcome back, let the smooth vibe roll!

1 Like

@richard.martin how is the Evo experience going? I’m getting impatient and likely won’t have the discipline to wait for the Technics 1210GR. Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Evo or the Technics SL-1500 instead…

What is the best way to package records for shipment? My mother is picking up my Grandfather’s 1950’s and 60’s record collection this weekend. Plotting how to get them to Hawaii. Post office media mail seems the most cost effective as UPS and FedEx are ridiculously expensive to the islands. How is it best to box them up? Would have to be perhaps 20 - 30 records per box, nothing too heavy as my mom couldn’t lift it. Are there special vinyl shipping boxes? Anything one ought to know about shipping records across vast distances?

You might try a box like this:

2 Likes

Here is another that might work and less expensive:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/9147/kraft-corrugated-shipping-boxbrb13-x-13-x-13-11-9-7-multi-depth-bmade-from-200-test-br32-ect-kraft-corrugated-cardboard

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just sold around 600 records + and shipped most of them. The sleeve city recommendation is solid. I also bought the LP sized cardboard pieces too. I then made a sandwich with the LP between cardboard pieces and wrapped the sandwich in plastic wrap.…then inside the sleeve city mailer or larger box. Did the same with multiple records. A max of around 20 and then a new sandwich. I packed up to 100 records in one big box this way. Didn’t have one shipping issue!

1 Like

@amsco15 were you able to ship them media mail?

And curious, why did you sell 600 records?

Lots by media mail, great rates of-course. I also shipped by every method imaginable. It was a big process.

Just, bringing life down to size a little…and a very nice sum of money. It was extremely fun and most of the money went right back into my system.

2 Likes

I’m probably not the best person to provide an opinion since I hadn’t listened to vinyl in over 35 years and don’t have much context, but given that I’m very happy with the Evo. It seems to be very well built, feels more expensive than it actually is, and most importantly sounds great to these digital ears. I was thinking the SQ was considerably lower than my CD setup (which should be expected since there has been a lot more money dumped into it), but yesterday picked up a copy of Dexter Gordon’s “One Flight Up” Blue Note Tone Poet Series at my local record shop. Wow! Now I get the vinyl thing. And I have no desire to find a digital version of it. Amazing sound!

Will I upgrade eventually? Probably, but for now I am very content with the Evo. My guy feeling is that the weak part of the chain might be the Schitt Mani pre but for $129 it is a steal.

4 Likes

That’s the debate. Get the Technics SL-1500 for $1199 that has a decent built in phono preamp, and then upgrade away the preamp/ cartridge over time. Or get the Evo for $499 and buy a $500 phono preamp, and maybe a $200 Nagaoka cartridge - all total $1200. Hmmmmm???

Just for anyone interested in the Huminguru entry level ultrasonic cleaner, there’s an early review here:

The HumminGuru Ultrasonic Record Cleaner - Early Review! - YouTube

The Kickstarter finished some time ago, but the price hasn’t risen too much at all, due for delivery September or October:

HumminGuru all-in-one ultrasonic vinyl record cleaner

1 Like

And, it has KNOBS!

With today’s exchange rate it is $380.18 US. What got my attention was the reviewer’s comment regarding seal integrity at 3:00 minutes into the video. Still at $380.18 it is a compelling option. :thinking:

1 Like

I’m definitely going to order one, and I’ll give a full review once I’ve got it.

I only have a Spin Clean, but really love the idea of Ultrasonic - budget obviously a sincere consideration.

If they can manage a semi good clean, it will probably be on par with my Spin Clean with the added bonus of not surface scratching the record at all.

I got in on that Kickstarter in the initial offer period. I felt at the initial offer price it was worth the risk.

2 Likes

Hoping some of the vinyl gurus can help me out. About 6 weeks ago I purchased a Pro-Ject Carbon EVO turntable. Seemingly easy setup using the “quick start” brochure. Recently I was going through the detailed manual and noted that the settings in the “quick start” were for the previously used Ortofon cartridge and are different than the Sumiko Rainier that it now comes with. No problem, set things back up and I should be good. But now the arm wants to swing back away from the album edge and if I get the needle on the album it slides off the edge. I’ve checked to make sure the deck is level and also played with the setting of anti-skating weight and it is worse when I have it at the “correct” setting. I’m tempted just to set it back for the Ortofon cartridge, which seemed to work okay.

Any ideas?

@richard.martin Unfortunately, I can’t help with the setup. As an aside, the ortofon is currently used in the EVO outside of the USA. The Rainer is used in the USA. Hopefully you can contact Pro-Ject directly for help.

1 Like

Sounds like an anti-skate problem. If this is using a string and weight system, remove the string from the arm and see if it stops. Also, if the platter is metal I wonder if their are some magnetization issues?

Also there are some very affordable tracking force digital gages on Ebay for under $10. I would get one and make sure your tracking force is right.

1 Like

Thanks, Jim. I moved the anti-skate weight setting and it seems to be working fine. I should probably test on a crappy album. Magnetization never occurred to me and it is a steel platter. I’m going to contact Pro-Ject to make sure it’s not user error but I am also going to get a tracking force gage to confirm.