Keep the PWD's volume above 50

@valer_valer many thanks, i got successfully registered, unfortunately can’t find the PWD test, only “PS Audio NuWave outboard”. I have checked all years :frowning: would you mind sending me a link please? :slight_smile:

http://www.milleraudioresearch.com/download2009/reports/aug09/psaudio_perfectwave_dac.html

@valer_valer These graphs you’re showing were the ones taken a long while ago when the PWD first was reviewed in the UK? If so they’re not relevant because the unit we sent him wasn’t a final production unit and had some bugs in it - nothing we’ve shipped to the public ever had those issues.

@Paul Please have a look at my own measurements (mine is the native PWDII, may 2012).

http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/comment/53182#Comment_53182

You can see the same problem, in level range of [-20dB - 0dB], the noise floor begins to rise (especially in the 6-7K).

Curious as well

http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/comment/53182#Comment_53182
You can see the same problem, in level range of [-20dB - 0dB], the noise floor begins to rise (especially in the 6-7K).
Interesting. I'm not sure how to interpret the measurements, but I'm curious how you measure. Is this while music is playing or else? I'm curious about this because there's an hearable problem on low volume in a certain midhigh frequency with alac files the problem is less big hearable with wav tracks.

Thought I’d pass along something I just tried…

I am one of the guys that much prefers the amp direct option rather than a preamp. I admit, that there is a little loss of dynamics when I turn the volume below the 40’s, but the transparency and 3 dimensionality outweighs any downside in my system.

Nonetheless, just last night I tried something a little different: I enabled volume control within JRiver MC18 (internal volume), and set the PWD’s volume to 100. I thought that this resulted in some improvement in dynamics compared to the PWD’s volume.

Now, I don’t entirely grasp the technical differences here… That is to say, despite JRiver’s volume control being performed in the 64-bit realm, it still has to send the data to a 24-bit DAC, which apparently still results in some bit truncation.

Going to do some more listening soon, but using JRiver’s internal volume might be something to try (presuming you are going amp direct).

@rfajardo this is interesting point. I have not tried changing volume in JRMC yet.

To my opinion if JRMC is using advanced technique for volume control in 64bit space I can imagine there are possibilities how to improve SQ on low levels (dithering, compression etc)

Nonetheless, just last night I tried something a little different: I enabled volume control within JRiver MC18 (internal volume), and set the PWD's volume to 100. I thought that this resulted in some improvement in dynamics compared to the PWD's volume.

Danger! make sure there are no other programs that can use the audio output at maximum volume!
wijnand said: Danger! make sure there are no other programs that can use the audio output at maximum volume!

Indeed, an important consideration. I have system sounds turned off, but it still makes me a bit nervous.

Good point I failed to mention.