Late Night Listening - Near Field, Cans, Low SPL?

Wow Al’s house specifically built to suit audiophile needs! Can’t imagine a more challenging project. Like Room 2 in Boulder it could become a reference room for an entire generation or two.

I suppose you are frying awaiting Gryphon toys! Good luck and keep us informed (superfluous recommendation!)

2 Likes

The recent Stereophile reviews have me pretty excited. It is hard to believe a major improvement could happen but I am willing to accept it should it occur.

5 Likes

I would never leave that basement. I feel bad my last visit I was so in awe of the two channel rig I never got to hear the HT setup! A new place with a dedicated separate Al’s toy barn would be mind blowing and I hope to experience it someday! Make sure it has a special garage for the bikes also!

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendations. It’s good to see Sony making a statement. Ron also recommended closed back phones. Open back isn’t a problem but what I’m hearing is the best solution is to move and build a dedicated space far removed from from sleeping spaces.

2 Likes

Jeez. It’s 11 am, and my wife is upstairs, behind a closed door, with a fan on in her room, on a Zoom call, and she has me turn my music down to 55dB. YIKES!!!

2 Likes

I’d move.
Or build a separate bldg—see Al above.

3 Likes

kidding

3 Likes

Something like a sleepout, or a granny flat?

1 Like

She leaves Monday for 2 weeks. I’ll be rocking out to Mozart and company!

7 Likes

My wife is a nurse. Her shift is 6a to 6p. She goes to bed early but with the Speaker in the room playing ocean waves, the fan, and the AC I can play the same at night that I do during the day being 2 floors below. :+1:t2:

5 Likes

@allan.thunes You might want to trade your X4’s for X5’s due to the added active lower woofer.
Also you might try a room audio sweep with REW or Acourate at the low listening volume. Then you can make a filter that pulls everything down to the reduced level of the most reduced octaves. You can turn that filter on when listening at low volumes (if using Roon or similar).
I specifically bought my X5’s to be able to listen at low volume levels while my wife was recovering from a stroke. They worked surprisingly well and were perfectly suited for both low and high volume listening.

Be sure to look sad.

3 Likes

I use headphones and have two really nice set ups in two systems. I have found two great pairings of headphones and amps.

In the living-room audio/visual system I use Sennheiser HD800S with a Decware CSP3 with the Anniversary mods, fed by AppleTV and DVR into an OPPO UDP-205 with a Decware ZBIT and ZROCK2 with Anniversary mods in between the Oppo and CSP3.

In my bedroom headphone only system I use ZMF Ori planar headphones driven by a Decware Taboo MK IV with Anniversary mods fed by a DVR and Pioneer Elite universal player and DMP into a DSD then to a Decware ZROCK2. Previously I used a PS Audio GCHA as the amp and have that in reserve–a very very good headphone amplifier that handles any headphones I toss at it.

I get to use these systems a lot early week day mornings and on weekends as my wife likes to sleep a lot more than I do. I generally use them for video content though I do listen to music some. Both systems give me sound I thought I would never have on headphones.

3 Likes

Thanks much Baldy. I like the overall approach. I still need to treat the room first but intend run sweeps to guide that process anyway. In the past couple of daze I slipped a Schiit Lokius into the system just to play with EQ before moving it to its permanent home in the desktop system. The experience was a bit eye opening. Differences were more obvious using head phones but even the 20 and 16K bands, that I typically don’t hear in tone sweeps, had real audible effects. I have the M4, so the X5 is a bit further reach, but the idea remains the same and I assume the same can be accomplished by adding a sub or subs. Thanks again.

A sub or subs will help. If you are short on room the SVS micros are a good choice.
Have fun!

Is this where we strategically place the Rock Me Amadeus joke?

1 Like

What brand are the X4 and X5?

Welcome to the club!
Spatial Audio is where I bought them. Easy to deal with and the sound produced is really really good.

Thank you, I am in the Muskegon/Fruitport area.

South Haven is home for me. We used to race at Thunderbird and Winston Speedways though.