Do you enjoy listening at late night levels?

Right now listening at avg 58 db, max 62 and it sounds scrumptious, The detail never seems to go away. I love it as much as say, 80 db. Everything is still there proportionally.
Thoughts?

5 Likes

Iā€™m currently listening at an average of 53 with a max of 59 ā€“ this is what I would call my normal listening levels.

When an album or track that I really like comes on, I sometimes turn up the volume to an average of 60db with peaks of about 68.

My listening room is far enough away from the bedrooms that I rarely use lower listening levels, but on occasion I do turn it down to an average of 44 with peaks of about 52.

The only thing I miss at the lower volume levels is that the bass doesnā€™t get up to high enough levels to really provide the punch like it does at the higher volume levels.

2 Likes

Every night I enjoy late night listening. The DSD Sr. Is usually set at a comfortable 60 (L). Driving my M700s.

2 Likes

I canā€™t explain why, but Iā€™d much rather listen at low late night levels thru my speakers than listen at any volume thru my headphones. (And I love my headphones)

5 Likes

This is a great question.

Late at night, I tend to listen to music at lower levels but, if Iā€™m consuming video content (different rooms), I donā€™t hold back. My 5.1 theater setup is unremarkable but in a really nice sounding room. My 2 channel system is in a horrendously terrible room.

Hey guys, with a pianissimo beginning to be noticeably audible from around 40dB you then practically use less than half of vinylā€˜s typical dynamic range :wink:

Whenever itā€™s possible, fortissimos reach between 90 up to 100 dB in my listening (peaks). I like quite realistic levels. Fun records like Hugh Masekelaā€˜s Hope play over 90dB for large parts here :sunglasses:

2 Likes

generally listen at the levels you
describe in the OP or less almost all of the time.
small non-detached houses and rooms, but also it is easier on my ears, and less tinnitus inducing. Also means my AB amps spend their time in A :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At those levels, weā€™re surely listening at milliwatts

1 Like

how yā€™all measuring yer dbs

I use a HT-80A sound level meter

thanks. Just looked around and thereā€™s a vast price difference for many of these. Like between $20 and $400. Crazy.

Was thinking there might be an iOS app that reads levels from the phoneā€™s microphone, but reviews of many of those suggest theyā€™re wildly accurate/inconsistent.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure I didnā€™t pay no more than 12 to 15 bucks for mine, I use mine just out of curiosity to give me some sort of baseline what level I like. Vinyl around 55 to 60 db and digital around 70 to 75 db.

Night listening at 50-65 db sound is very complete and easy on the earsā€¦
as measured using an American Recorders sound level meterā€¦

Keeping my neighbors (just 13ā€™ from listening position) at peace is priority for
me

2 Likes

RonP thanks for this threadā€¦fortunately for me my Emotiva XSP1 Gen 2 preamp has
a defeatable tone controlā€¦which when I turn it on particularly at lower sound levels
the sound stage just opens right upā€¦hf and lf left at trim neutral setting

The way the tone control adjustments are designedā€¦

High-Frequency and Low-Frequency Trims:
HF Trim inflection point: 4 kHz.
HF Trim adjustment range: -3 dB to +3 dB @ 12 kHz in 1 dB steps.
LF Trim inflection point: 200 Hz.
LF Trim adjustment range: -3 dB to +3 dB @ 50 Hz in 1 dB steps.

have minimal impact on the overall responseā€¦yet do provide sufficient
adjustment ā€¦

Needless to say I enjoy using themā€¦

2 Likes

I use an iPhone app ā€œSLA liteā€. I donā€™t know or particularly care about itā€™s accuracy but itā€™s very repeatable.

1 Like

I enjoy late night levels, usually around 70 to 75 dB.

Interesting topic. I donā€™t really enjoy anything over 85db and evening listening would be mid to low 60ā€™s.
And yes I do enjoy night lower levels

1 Like

Decibel X app on Android. Iā€™m too lazy to break out my Radio Shack Decibel meter from the 90ā€™s.

1 Like

Living in a high rise, day or night I donā€™t have the option of really cranking my system lest I spark a squabble with my neighbors I share walls, a ceiling and a floor with. That said I have a particularly interesting observation perhaps to some. As Iā€™ve gotten older the volume control in general has been turned down, not up. Might seem counter-intuitive when one might think turning up to compensate for hearing loss would be the norm. Fortunately, at 61 years old Iā€™m blessed with hearing that is still rather good for my age. Iā€™ve cogitated about this trend over the years and I postulate it has to with a more mature approach to listening and enjoying music. For me nowadays it is less about bombast, my system can out-bombast anyone elseā€™s in the building I have no doubt, and a lot more about nuance. Late night listening at low volume is a real treat for me because it is that time of the day when Iā€™m least assaulted by the sound of the big city, from ordinary street noise to sirens to helicopters to you name it. I can immerse myself in the nuance I value most.

3 Likes

Right on my friendā€¦great observationā€¦keep the peace with as many as possible and above all
preserving your ā€œgolden earsā€ ability to enjoy your music all while enjoyng your musicā€¦

2 Likes