Mac Mini doesn't work with PS Audio DirectStream DAC

I use an Audioquest Cinnamon cable and it sounds good considering everything. It is a temporary solution until I can actually buy either the upcoming PS streamer or either an Innuos or a Lumin.

I’ve never used USB. I run cat5e directly from the mini to the bridge card and a TOSLINK connection as well. I went with the mini as it seemed a good place to get my feet wet. I’m looking at dedicated Roon ready streamers now to replace the mini. I like the Auralic Aries G2.1 but not it’s price tag. It has all the bells and whistles like linear power supplies, galvanic isolation, and good build quality, but I’d have to audition it in my system first to justify the expense.

Did you try an audioquest jitterbug?

HERE

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 9.32.09 PM

I think it is a blessing the Mac Mini failed you early. I do not understand why anyone would reach for one for an audio server. Nearly any other option is better.

3 Likes

A Mac Mini was not designed to be a high end audio device. No matter how you tweak and modify it, it will never be as good as a dedicated audio server. Playing quad rate DSD from my server almost made me forget how good my analog is. I am still using my modified Mac Mini for video though, with the USB into the DS, it makes the sound tracks not too bad sounding.

2 Likes

Yes, thanks; I’m using the AudioQuest Jitterbug FMJ.

Thank you. It would seem that ultimately I will be going the same route. Just have to see what high-end streamer / music server I can get in South Africa. But the prices are staggering.

Thank you. I’m a little “curious” (excuse the pun): in connecting the Mini directly to the Bridge II card, how did that work for you in playing audio from the Mini through the Bridge? Did you have your Mini in router mode with internet sharing, to stream music from the Mini to the DS?

If you’re able to make the Mini as a Roon core, then you can stream to your Bridge II using local LAN

I agree on the ridiculous prices. I am looking at purchasing a streamer and one of the choices is the Innuos Zem Mk3. It seems to be sweet spot quality wise and Innuos supports Roon which is a remarkable piece of software. Aurender does not support Roon which eliminates them from my search.
I will be curious to see what the basic PS Audio streamer will offer.

A similar product that I have been looking at today is the Melco N100.

But what I’m also exploring is adding a USB 2.0 hub to the Mac mini, as the DirectStream DAC runs on USB 2.0. The following is officially what Apple states in relation to problems that arise with external devices plugged into a USB port on a Mac not being recognised by the Mac:

Check the USB hub: If the device is connected to a USB hub, make sure the device and the hub are the same speed. Connect USB 3.0 SuperSpeed devices to a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed HUB, USB 2.0 Hi-Speed devices to a USB 2.0 Hi-Speed hub, and so on.”

I apologize if I glanced over it but have you tried a different USB cable? Also, I don’t think there’s an issue with the DAC, but have you tried a different computer to check that it works with the USB input on the DAC?

1 Like

The Melco is a nice unit. I am finished with using the Mac Mini.

1 Like

Agree with @jim-kaporch Don’t use USB. I started out streaming with a Mac mini & USB but moved to ethernet and Bridge 2 board in the PSA DSD: no problems at all since then (5+ years ago).

1 Like

My mini’s WiFi is connected to my home network (192.168.1.1/24) and the Ethernet is configured as a point-to-point network (192.168.2.1/30) with Network Address Translation (NAT) enabled and connected directly to the bridge. The mini detects its connected to a computer and performs the Ethernet crossover internally so a straight-thru cable can be used. NAT allows the bridge to communicate with my home network when required yet not see all the traffic on it. It has worked well so far.

3 Likes

Hi all, after liaising with PS Audio, and doing tests, we have discovered that there is a latent fault on the circuit board of the DS DAC on the USB side of it.

I’m in the process of having the unit replaced or getting a refund.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and trying to help.

2 Likes

What is the fault which was found?

Sounds like the USB board is bad.

Yes, the USB board is faulty.

Got it; the board itself is bad, not a design defect.

Thanks.