Matrix X-SPDIF 2

To reiterate, HQP is nearly impossible to set up on one’s own because the manual is so poorly written. But with help, it literally takes 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I can’t help with Windows. Questions posted to the HQP thread on Audiophile Style will get a quick response from the developer and others. You’ll be up and running in no time.

Where’d everybody go :innocent:?

They must be listening to music!

Unfortunately some of us still have a J.O.B.:laughing:

Matrix exhaustion maybe?

Maybe. That little box has got a lot of mileage.

Yah. I still think the matrix is the real deal.

I broke down and ordered an LPS 1.2.
Now that I have both Jr. and a Sr. I am debating getting a second Matrix and a second LPS 1.2.
Two different systems, twenty feet apart.
What is wrong with me anyway?
(My formally biggest system is also within twenty feet of the other two. No external DACs there.)(yet)

1 Like

Dancingsea, any update? Did you compared with usb power line or any other external power supply?

Thanks in advance!

I haven’t gone too far down the power supply road yet. I’m currently going MacBook Pro —> Supra USB —> W4S RUR (powered by a Gophert switching PS with Ghent DC cables) —> Curious Link —> Matrix (usb power via the RUR) —> AQ Mocha I2S…

I’ve yet to dive off into the inexpensive Amazon based battery schemes, not convinced its worth the effort. But I really don’t know.

Even though I’m sure the Uptone LPS 1.2 is the way to go, but I can’t yet bring myself to spend $450 for a power supply for the $370 Matrix. Someone on Audiophile Style recommended this thing below. It’s the stock power supply for the Uptone LPS 1.2 and only costs $17 + shipping! It has a ground shunt. I’m going to give a try with the Matrix.

Or this, which is endorsed by Sonore, FWIW, only $159 for a LPS without the fancy batteries of the LPS 1.2:

2 Likes

I decided to try this LPS. I’ve got 2 other similar LPS (Zero Zone) for my NUC and external SSD dock that are excellent.

1 Like

Hi Ted, why is breaking connections only at the DAC end not as good as breaking connections at both ends?

Hi Dancingsea, I ended up ordering the Talentcell battery that you checked out with Arthur at Matrix - I got a very good price on eBay in the UK. It works perfectly, no need to make any cables as the cables it comes with connect directly to the Matrix and the capacity is quite big so a charge lasts for a good 10 hours. It also has a battery level meter which shows you when it’s about to run down - with the racing car batteries there’s no indicator so you can’t tell when the battery has depleted and it’s switched over to USB power (other than by any change in sound). It’s also got an on/off switch which means you don’t need to unplug the battery when not in use, you just flick the switch.

I haven’t yet done a proper a/b comparison although I have to admit that I’ve forgotten to switch the battery on the last couple of nights and I’ve listened blissfully unaware for a few hours each time! Which to me shows Matrix is still great when run off USB power.

My ultimate aim is to try an Audience AU24SE USB with the power running down a separate cable, so that it has 2 connectors at the output end. I’ll connect the power leg to the 5v USB power output from my Melco N1Z, and hopefully do away with the external power supply altogether. But those USB cables are expensive and don’t come up second hand very often…

Regards, Mike.

The Triode Wire Labs version of this cable is worth considering. It splits the data and power as well, but also includes a 5V power filter on the power run of the cable. I have used this cable in my system and it is awesome. Plus, it is very reasonably priced.

I see y’all are discussing USB cables, maybe this helps…
http://www.totaldac.com/USB_gigafilter-eng.htm
I use two of those and the difference is ludicrous…
Hope this helps…

Thanks both. Totaldac looks great but a bit pricey for my budget. The Triode Wire Labs could be a possibility…

Very interesting @mike-marks, thanks for the feedback on the TalentCell. Curious to hear how your A/B comparison goes…

Thanks a lot, Robwilgus and Dancingsea!

A little over a week ago I swapped out my DSD jr for the DSD Sr. It was a nice noticeable upgrade.
A few days ago I swapped my Audioquest Rocket 33 speaker cables out for a new pair of Anticable Level Three 3m speaker cables. This made a surprisingly nice audible improvement. And the Anticables are not at all expensive. A nice surprise.
Tonight I added the Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supply to the Matrix and oh my! Clarity! What the heck! Better than a battery? I give up, happily.

2 Likes

You might want to swap that lps 1.2 dc cable to Zenwave upocc or similar for even better results. I use 0.3m long copper version and it sounds very good there.
And if i remember correctly,Audio Bacon said that lps 1.2 works best with its own power cord straight to wall and not to conditioner. Worth a try…
I cant do it because i live in europe,but found pretty good match with Acoustic Revive pc.

1 Like