Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Ah-hah! Thanks for the correction. Constantly learning. :wink:

When I got the Auralic Aries G2, I briefly compared the following signal paths:

Aries G2 > USB > Matrix (powered by UpTone LPS-1.2) > I2S > DirectStream

vs.

Aries G2 > AES/EBU > DirectStream

At the time, I was using a Kimber Silver USB and a Belden-based BlueJeans Cable AES/EBU. The USB>Matrix signal path sounded materially better to my ears, although the USB>Matrix signal path was noticeably louder, too, and I did not attempt to level-match the two signal paths in any scientific way.

I find that, all else being as equal as possible, the DirectStream’s I2S input is its best-sounding input. The only way I can get from the Aries G2 to the DS’s I2S input is via the Matrix. While I would have preferred the simplicity of a single AES/EBU connection, with the BlueJeans AES/EBU cable, at least, the decision to go with the USB>Matrix was a no-brainer.

4 Likes

Many thanks Bootzilla, I owe you again. I was just thinking about getting a Lumin U1 Mini in an attempt to simplify my setup and get rid of the USB/Matrix complexities, thinking AES via U1 Mini should be at least as good. Sounds like you’ve done the same test but with a better option than U1 Mini, so I’m going to knock that one on the head…you’re always one step ahead of me, I feel like a stalker…

2 Likes

The only way that happens on a digital signal is if something in at least one of the chains is mucking with the bits… making this comparison less robust.

I did compare them and to my ears it was close, but the platinum gets the nod.

1 Like

Thanks for offering your experience! I really appreciate it.

1 Like

You could be right . . . some have described the Matrix as a “reclocker.”

Not true. Bits are bits but signal paths are signal paths. The bits can get to the DAC perfectly yet the sound can be different because of what comes along with those bits.

Yeah, I apologize to you @speed-racer and @bootzilla -my post was unclear. I was not talking about SQ, but the issue of loudness. If the bits are the same, the level will be the same. If the level is not the same, at least one of the streams is altering the bits and thus comparisons of SQ would be invalid.

As an aside, while the Matrix may be a reclocker, that should be irrelevant to SQ in the DS since it does not reference external clocks (unless, of course, the reclocking generates additional noise that affects SQ that way).

But I agree, if the bits are the same and the clock is irrelevant, all we have left to affect SQ is noise.

2 Likes

Currently using Uptown Ultracap 1.2 for the Matrix. MacMini as Roon Bridge endpoint > WW Platinum USB > Matrix > WW Ultraviolet HDMI > DSD.
I’ve just ordered a Revelation Audio Labs HDMI cable, for which Brad says “I will have your custom 2-ft. length at your door by week’s end.”
I’ll be very pleased if that schedule holds, and I’m looking forward to hearing how the cable sounds. His description of the high-end design and construction makes sense - we’ll see how it works.

Brad’s been telling me I would get my Revelation 0.65m HDMI cable next week for sure for the last month and a half. Forget it. I might be months if you will ever get it. I’m still waiting for mine. I don’t know how he stays in business.

But he seems like such a nice Christian fellow…

Merry Christmas fellow (and gals hopefully) audiophiles.

After listening for a while in this ‘unadulterated’ mode I think I’ll just stay here! I’m really enjoying the fruits of @tedsmith’s labours (excuse the spelling but I am an Oxford Dictionary boy) without any messing with bits on the source side. If there’s any impact from not severing the I2S clocks pins I’m not suffering! I’ve just left the WW USB and HDMI cables as is. Another thing I’ve done over Christmas is to re-arrange the positioning of the Matrix and LPS such that it’s as far as practically possible from the (controlling) PC and NAS server. I’ve also been careful with all the cabling such that any that need to lay over any other does so at 90 degrees. Yeah, yeah I know, call me obsessive but it’s physics 101. The EM induction is minimized if the media crosses at 90 degrees. Anyway, it hasn’t hurt the cause. :yum:

2 Likes

Hi Mike, did your re-arranging improve sound Q, or was it a case of ‘it’s the thought that counts’ ?

Many thanks

Truthfully, I think it’s probably “it’s the though that counts”. If there was/is any sonic improvements my ears didn’t pick them up. Theoretically it should improve the sonics but maybe only if you previously had any issues with EM pollution. Better AC cables and better isolation of the PC and USB cables are on my wish list so I guess I’m just trying to make the best of what I’ve got.

I just downloaded a new DSD128 album from the HighResAudio shop and was mightily impressed but that does not necessarily mean that that was attributable solely to the re-location. I’m trying very hard to be as objective as possible when reporting on my tinkering results :wink:

2 Likes

Are you using the Ultra add on with the Sbooster?

I’ve noticed big gains with the Ultradigital with the 7.5V filter.

Yes I am. I know, it another $100 add on, but it did help make the sound better. Also I put in the SR Orange fuse and that’s another improvement, small but improvement non-the-less. I did compare the Sbooster with the Uptone 7v power supply I took from the broken Uptone Regent with the same power high end power cord with my brother in attendance today and we were stung on the difference. The Sbooster was way better. It’s amazing what a better power supply to the Matrix can do.

1 Like

@waymanchen11
Good to hear you hear similar.
The Ultra is critical as it sounds transformative. Life and dynamics in the music :slight_smile:

FYI
Sbooster is picky with use on power conditioner. Plugging Sbooster in HC sockets in Dectet is absolutely the way to go, the other 2 zones have too much filtering and kill the music.

I find that power cords also affects the sound . It doesn’t make sense but I can hear it. I plug the Sbootser into the P12. I haven’t compare between that and plugging into the wall. Maybe I can do that at a later time just for fun.

Hi! I have got the Matrix and also the keces p8 to power it. I would like to ask if I should leave the P8 and Matrix on for 24 hrs? I feel the P8 is warm so I dare not leave it on for 24hrs. Any suggestions? Can I leave P8 on for 24 hrs?