Matrix X-SPDIF 2

I’m not sure of the answer for you. But have you run the matrix with and without the p8? What differences have you noticed with it in the loop? Thanks.

Warm is normal. Hot would be another issue. I leave my Matrix on 24/7 fed power by an HDPlex 200W. The LPS gets warm, the Matrix doesn’t even get warm.

The Matrix does not require much power even when there’s a signal going thru it. It doesn’t even get warm when I play music thru it all day long. The external power supply can get warm even when the Matrix does not have any signal going thru it, but would draw very little power regardless. There should be no problem leaving both on 24/7.
The Sbooster I use doesn’t even get warm. Neither does the Matrix. I leave both on 24/7. I feel it sounds better since you do not have to warm them up when you turn on your system.
I leave the DSS and DMP on standby 24/7 also. They do feel warm all the time but never hot. I guess that’s OK according to Paul.

I leave both of mine on 24/7/365. They are warm but they seem fine. They don’t use a lot of power.

Thanks! Matrix does not feel warm but the LPS does so I am a bit concern about it. Before P8, I have sbooster for my Aries Mini which ON for 24 hrs without issue.

I have briefly tried using usb power, ifi 5v and P8 9v. It might not be accurate as i am not in critical listening. Using USB power, it seems more spacious in soundstage. Using ifi 5V, it seems to sound better dynamic. Using P8 in 9V, the vocal is more focus and clear with even better dynamic.

During these period, I also try adjusting my speaker position and the footers position on my Matrix X-Sabre pro. I realise the adjustment of the footers position also have effects on the overall sounds and it is quite noticeable. The vocal can be more forward, laidback or veil. The bass can be more boomy or lean bass. Footers are also affecting the overall sounds. This is what i have discovered.

A linear power supply will always be warm even if not under a load. Though it will get warmer under load. The nature of an LPS, just as with a class A amp means that energy will be radiated as heat with the anticipation of a load.

2 Likes

Just now, i have a short critical listening with USB power, ifi 5v power supply and P8.

I am using a track " Perhaps Love" at 3:20 to 3:50. At 3:35, there will be echo in the vocal which i always listen for it. The echo should be easily hear it if the system is good. My previous setup cannot hear it clearly but have to turn the volume up but it is beyond my listening level.

Using USB power supply, I can hear the echo but the dynamic is not very good. Vocal is clear but may sounds fatigue for long listening in higher volume.

Using ifi 5v, I can also hear the echo with better dynamic. The vocal may seems less clear but actually I hear more natural. I think it is less digital or more analog sounding of the vocal.

Using P8, I can hear the echo with better dynamic than ifi 5V. The vocal sound natural and the treble is also clear. The overall sounds more analog. Really enjoying this setup. With this setup, I can turn up the volume without sounding fatigue if I listen it for long. The ifi 5V is less transparent than P8.

So that is my conclusion for using P8 for the Matrix spdif 2. Now, I am very happy with my setup. Happy ending of upgrading of my system.

1 Like

@rq1111 - I bought my Farad Super 3 linear power supplies some months back and they sound amazing; however, I did not like the 5mm high semi-spherical feet. I measured the hot spot temp of the Nucleus+ Farad and was ~105F w/ ambient temp at 70F. The Matrix Farad was ~98F. The Farad Super 3 uses super caps and keeping the power supply temp as low as possible prolongs the high performance life span. In essence, degrading slower over time. I then decided to add 32mm black aluminum heat sink feet w/ O-ring base, using silver aluminum epoxy to maximize heat transfer. One thing you may try is adding another puck under the (4) feet you have to add more air flow below the P8. I measure using a cheap laser thermometer (~$15) to make sure it is about numbers.

Results: The hot spot temp for the N+ Farad Super 3 power supply went from 105F to 92F. The Matrix power supply hot spot temp went from 98F to 90F. Any power supply hot spot that is 90F and below will last a really long time wrt performance degradation. All (4) Farad power supplies are on 24/7 and they never get hotter than 92F (N+) drawing 2A. All (4) Farad supplies are rated at 3A so power is never really a consideration. The Matrix runs very cool and ~500mA. It is running 25% of the N+ supply, reason it is in the middle of the supplies. The 4th Farad is on the top shelf (Giga FOIL filter).

3 Likes

I am sure that you have mentioned… but what volt did you get on the farad? Do you recall the connector size you got for the matrix? These come from Europe?

@timm - yes, I have mentioned it a few times. My BD has all the information you asked. I set it up to allow zooming. Farad is a company Mattijs (founder of Pink Faun) stared in the Netherlands. 5.5mm/2.1mm @ 6VDC

Haha. I love it. Yes I knew it was in this pile somewhere. I’m still loving everything about the matrix and my DS. I don’t have an lps on it as of yet. I do have it plugged into a p10 however - using what came with my wyred 4 sound recovery unit. It’s a cheap wallwart type thing. Don’t know if utilizing the p10 helps in this regard.

1 Like

@timm - Here is how I handled power distribution

@timm - We just finished the atrium so I have another system. The glass wall is thermal and in winter we never turn heat on. We are installing power cellular blinds to combat the sun. Funny in the winter the sun is worse cause it is lower and we have southern exposure. This one I use my iPad and JBL Boom Box II and put the closed caption on and stream. The fire bowl (RF controlled) had to get turned down cause initially I could see it a few miles away.

3 Likes

Beautiful view.

My wife keeps bugging me about finding a second place for a warmer
climate.

I love the Denali into the p20. What did that provide you? I am unfamiliar with the Denali. Power conditioner?

@timm - A blacker background, better detail without sacrificing dynamics if done properly. My static load is 28% of P20 @ 20A set up. Do not recommend for greater than 40% static load. Also, D2000T is designed for very heavy amplifier loading. I consider the P20 a very heavy 60Hz super amp load. I would not recommend the D6000, not as beefy as D2000T. Also, this configuration allowed me to separate the streaming supplies from PS Audio signal processing and source (DMP).

Curious. What does your P20 read the inbound noise as? That looks like a pristine power setup. I don’t recall your speakers… but bhk monos / two rel subs…and the rest… nice. Room size? Oh sonus faber? I found it in your pic up top. :slight_smile:

Worse THD is 3%. We live in a planned community resort so never ever an issue w/ power. I have dual BHK 300 w/ REL S3/SHO subs and main speakers are SF Guareni Evolutions fully bi-wired w/ Iconoclast SPTSP speaker wires. Using Iconoclast OCC for DSD >> BHK Pre >> BHK 300. The room is 12ft X 23ft X 10ft with treatments. The combo EVOs w/ small REL subs are spot on. I love my EVOs. This took a little over a year and a half to put together. I was going to go PF 2.16X; however, I love my N+ w/ Matrix so much, I will wait a few years. That streaming w/ Roon Rock is so nice sounding. My streaming is better than my modified DMP that sounds much better than stock DMP. I started w/ 250 CDs and now I am over 1,000 CDs. I love my DMP and really love streaming Qobuz SQ…

Yes. My problem is I love it all. I have an insane amount of hi res which is what I listen to in my main room. The kitchen / living room and bathroom all have an echo studio w sub and a dot in the bathroom. I love it. It’s so stupid and easy - and It’s always background music. I just stream the low res there - but it doesn’t matter to me really as I am usually also doing something else while listening

Very cool. I just picked up the AW-45 Walkman DAP and 128GB SD disk and a set of Bose super sport BT earbuds for cycling. I was in LA for most of DEC and back tomorrow leading an RCCA ( Root Cause & Corrective Action) for most of JAN. I will bring my other tiny BT boom box for hotel. They put me up and give me generous expenses… just stinks being away from my wife for weeks. I have music all over the house too and love Roon for that ability. The nice thing about the iPad w/ Roon is walking around the house with boom boxes. You get spoiled having to have music. I went most of DEC cause I forgot my other Pioneer DAP and boom box and was jonesing for hi res music.

Thanks! Cardri. I think I will add footers under the P8 for more air flow.