Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Of course there are layers. Aspects we don’t yet understand. But, when you look at the complexity and diversity of life on this planet, there is no way you can compare the complexity of a speaker or an amp or all the parts that make up an audio system, to genetics.

1 Like

It depends only on how far you are willing to dig.

1 Like

It is estimated that there have been 5 billion species of animals in the earth’s history with ~8.7 million species alive today. Let me know when speakers or amps get that diverse. Also, the simplest insect brain is far more complex than any amp design…so you better dig a lot deeper than saying it depends on how deep you dig.

I was referring to people’s differing impressions and criteria for what’s “best”.

All one needs to do is to dive into the physics of electricity, beginning with quantum theory, and you will be busy for a lifetime.

Or consider the chemical complexity of a “simple” glass of distilled water, truly incredible and still not fully understood.

But critters are neat, too. In a past life I performed research in radiation biology and thoroughly enjoyed it. The critters were not as pleased.

I have to many degrees, etc. to find any aspect of the world less than fascinatingly complex. Arguing which topic is deeper is akin to asserting my infinity is bigger than yours.

5 Likes

Thanks for all of the excellent descriptions. It amazes me how many different personalities that music draws together.

1 Like

One of my friends out at Stanford has spent the last 40 yrs studying the Water Molecule. He runs the SLAC now. Just start with the fact that water expands when it gets colder and the implications thereof and you have a life’s work. Imagine if you will if the opposite were true and water didn’t float when frozen. Doesn’t seem like a big deal but the sequelae inevitably lead to snowball Earth. Fun Stuff.

4 Likes

A wonderful example.

Fascinatingly, as water cools it first sinks to the bottom but then rises as it gets colder yet. Then it freezes and floats. In the air, it freezes in all sorts of wonderful ways.

As you note, the world would be entirely different if water did not behave as it does.

On a separate note, the research conducted at SLAC is astounding.

I am aware there has been an issue with the LPS 1.2 and microRendu in starting, but did not think it applied to UltraRendu. Per Post #718, https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/38595-the-new-generation-ultracap-lps-12-user-impressions-and-questions-thread/page/29/?tab=comments#comment-1051843, solution is to let the LPS 1.2 completely power up to Green before plugging into the microRendu for startup. I have a micoRendu and LPS 1.2 for one varitation in my setup and follow those guidelines and works for me. I do power down when not using the microRendu. Good to read you do not have any issue powering up with Sbooster.

1 Like

I’ve been very fortunate to have done some work on the Beam line.

3 Likes

Is it known if @Paul has weighed in on the improvements made by the Matrix with the DSD?

1 Like

I’m powering the Matrix with the USB cable that’s connected to a fanless linux box, powered by my PSA P12. I know many went they route of iFi or a more expensive something or other. Wondering how seriously I ought to consider moving away from the USB power. I’m near my end for the coming couple of years and thought I’d ask about final touches based on others experiences. Thanks!!

Any way, back on topic :wink: did you know that water is actually 2 different liquids with 2 different freezing points, zero and I think -22. The molecules can connect in two possible combinations, apparently this is why water never freezes at the bottom as it should and supposedly life would never have developed without this phenomenon.

2 Likes

These isomers differ in the spin orientation of the hydrogen atoms relative to one another. The parallel spin orientation is the ortho isomer; opposite, para.

Which leads me to my favorite chemistry joke. Replace the hydrogen atoms with PhDs and you get orthodocs and paradocs. (For chemistry nerds this obviously also works with a benzene ring.)

Para isomer water acts a good deal more quickly in chemical reactions than ortho water.

Neat stuff.

2 Likes

In my situation the LPS 1.2 was green, then the UltraRendu is powered up, it gets close to going green itself, the LPS goes red and the UltraRendu reboots. This becomes an endless loop. Somehow I would get the UltraRendu to finally boot and then it would become my goal to never have it shut down. Now with the Sbooster there is no issue, it just works. I am happy to learn this is a known issue and my thanks for providing that link. I didn’t contact Sonore as in my experience they are less than useless when it comes to support. In my experience. Mine. :wink:

Presumably the current draw was too much

Very worthwhile getting a LPS for matrix. A budget one can be had from small green computer where you can remove the cover and adjust voltage within matrix operating range to your liking. You can get similar ones off ebay. All voltages sound different. I have a HD Plex on order to try.that has 4 LPS in one chasis. Placing LPS at every wall wart helped my system immensely. Matrix LPS over an UltraRendu USB is night and day improvement.

1 Like

If you checkout the link that Further supplied it’s a bit more complicated then that. I believe there are core differences in the design and operation of the two devices, the Sbooster and the LPS 1.2. These differences do not seem to have any issues when powering the Matrix, but with the Rendu family there are issues. I am surprised by this. I now power my Two UltraRendus and my MicroRendu with different power supplies. I had no issues with the less expensive Small Green Computer supply.

Check out that link, it is interesting.

I have never tried it.

1 Like

I think it might depend on how clean the USB power is.

Many here find a LPS helps with the Matrix and I tried a CI Audio 7v (https://ciaudio.com/product/vdc•7-mkii-upgrade-power-supply) which is so slouch, but I prefer power from the Lumin U1M USB which is powered by an SBooster.