Matrix X-SPDIF 2

I suspect that it doesn’t matter how clean the USB power source is since the power has to go through a USB chipset and I bet that mucks it up some. Because of that, I think it will always be better to have use a separate LPS to power the Matrix SPDIF 2.

1 Like

What??? WHAAAAT??? Lol.

Now Paul if you were on your game you would have asked ‘How does it measure???’ :slight_smile:

@timm
If Paul asked that up front I would immediately walk away from PS Audio :slight_smile:

1 Like

@timm

Your joke is so on point.
Would you eat food based solely on description of % protein , lipid, and carb and that’s it? And then if I’m consistent with audio world logic, I would claim I have yet to see a double blind study demonstrating humans have a sense of taste and I want to see that first before I would entertain there is more to this than just protein, lipid, and carbs. Oh and I doubt a human can tell the difference between a microwave burger, McDonald’s, and a professional burger because of bias mechanisms and humans can convince themselves of anything.

Why is the audio world so strange?

Geez Paul, aren’t you curious about it?? :laughing:

1 Like

Got mine 3 days ago! LOVE IT!

I am glad that Ted finally showed up here with some “reality”!
It is all system dependent and Listener dependent!
I had the Matrix spdif2 twice and did nothing for me. Did not enhance or subtract, The fact that it subtract at least states that it indeed is good.

I have 5 boxes coming off a highly modified W20SE all powered with Hynes LPS’s. To my ears streaming Flac internet radio from across the world the DSS approaches my burmester 069 om My loaded MSB select DAC II with mono power bases.

Color me very pleased and even finding this unbelievable myself. I guess I figured out the secret formula for that system and myself. It took 6+ years of trial and error. I have had anything and everything.

What post of teds are you referring to?

I’m guessing Paul’s post saying that he ‘never tried’, since Ted is/was using the Matrix (last I read…nothing new there). 2chan wants/needs the simple PSA solution to be declared perfect since he tried (twice if I read correctly) and failed to make it sound better.

I’m guessing that he was talking about the discussion of the EtherREGEN up a ways - some thought the theory a little dubious and I pointed out that it’s plausible.

(and some follow on posts with more details)

What kinds of SQ improvement will a good LPS bring to Matrix X-SPDIF2?
I am sure the answers are among the >3000 posts here, but I am too lazy to go through them. I am using a Matrix between my Melco N1A music server and PS Audio DAC, without a dedicated LPS for it. Thanks for the advice.

@zheng4

My Uptone UltraCap LPS-1.2 made the most noticeable improvement for me. This was even over hdmi and usb upgrades imo. If I were you I would upgrade to a LPS for your matrix immediately…it’s a night and day difference.

**Note, for usb I have the Audioquest Diamond and for hdmi I have the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7.

1 Like

Sbooster at 9 volts to the Matrix is where I have landed. Uptone LPS 1.2 is a fine choice as well. It will require a power cable upgrade though which makes the combination well more expensive than an Sbooster solution.

3 Likes

@aangen

For the uptone LPS 1.2 did you upgrade the AC power cable to the brick or DC power cable with the barrel connector on it?

I upgraded my AC cable but not the DC cable.

I have followed some of the leads here and have a Sbooster coming tomorrow.

Recently and differently than some/most, I got a new Roon server https://fit-iot.com/web/product/mbm2-pro/ that again changed the light on the Matrix. Before it was either green or blue and now it’s able to show native. It’s been the biggest difference maker in mine so far (the server, not native). Nice to see native, though several said to feed PCM into the Matrix and let Ted’s magice work, which I imagine I’ll use going forward.

Hi Mr Eickmeyer and Al,
Could you two please elaborate what kinds of improvements your LPSs provided? transparency? soundstage? frequency extension? etc etc. Thanks.

@zheng4

I don’t really subscribe to alot of the flowery vocabulary specific equipment reviewers use…so maybe im not the best person to provide an answer to your specific question.

…but for me personally…I will say the sound just felt more gripping and engaging with the LPS.

1 Like

Hi; So based on a recommendation from another in this community I am thinking of getting this for my DSD. I am using a Mac Mini as my dedicated music streamer with a Kimber USB connected to my DSD. If I understand correctly, this unit would simply be placed in between the Mac and the DSD? This member also suggests a move to an Aurender from my Roon/Mac Mini comb - a move to which I am open but no reason I cannot start with this upgrade as in either case it seems like it provides a great benefit. And I see you are using an external 5v power supply, though Matrix calls for 6v - 9v. Are you happy with results still?

Thanks

Both A and B are clean. Direction does not matter. This is important for folks like me who already was using OpticalRendu. Without B->A option… I wont be able to use ER.

Me: Yes Switch -> ER(Side B) -> ER(Side A optical module) -> OR?
Alex Crespi: That is correct

Me: So connecting Switch -> ER B -> ER A -> OR compromise SQ? Or direction does not matter and we still get all the goodness?
Alex Crespi: Yes. We went to extra trouble and expense to make the EtherREGEN symmetrical about its moat (i.e. differential clocking and reclocking and all super voltage regulation is the same both sides) just so that B>A performance would be equal to A>B. Only reason we did it was for optical endpoint users (opticalRendu).

Also, customer service quality I get from Uptone audio is awesome. Every time I ask a question. I get precise and prompt response from Alex. He is just awesome.

2 Likes

Good answer. That is also how I feel about it.

1 Like