The next step could be to remove the 5V from the USB cable cause the Matrix now has external power and you don’t need the 5V from the streamer. This creates a “data only” USB cable; or, you could buy a “data only” USB cable.
Isolating the 5V power on the USB cable
Curious, what was the point of taping off the VCC on the target end of the cable if the source end was taped?
@vee - I have no idea what you are asking. I removed the 5V from the N+ server to Matrix (isolated) that would power the Matrix if it did not have an external power source. In doing that I created a “data only” cable. If you have a really good Matrix external LPS, then the N+ (streamer source) 5V does not reach that very good supply at the target end; it was removed at the USB source connection.
I saw that in the pictures. You taped off the N+ end, but also the Matrix end. I was curious why also the Matrix end since it shouldn’t be sending out power.
@vee - kapton tape isolates the pins, such that the N+ USB VCC does not enter the USB cable wiring (next to the data line) and also does not reach the very, very quite Farad LPS. I did not tap anything. I isolated the two points. Since I have no access to the USB connector, other than placing a piece of kapton tape over the pin, I can’t cut out the power line. In addition, I might sell this USB cable down the road and that would violate the USB cable spec.
Oh, I think I see… language (tap = connect to me) - I could have just isolated the source VCC; I don’t like antenna stubs, just in case there is any voltage on the Matrix side. Very doubtful; however, just wanted to make sure.
@vee - my mistake totally - thought you meant tap, you were correct taped is not tapped…
Interesting! I’ve got to try this. Thanks for all the tips.
I think the point @vee is making is that isolating one end should theoretically stop any current running down the power line, so there may not be a need to isolate both ends?
“To be sure, to be sure!”. Maybe having contact at one end acts like an aerial? Dunno - not my area!! I’ll tape both ends.
Cheers!!
@Philip_Gan - yes, you got my concern - language - (aerial = antenna to you…). Yeah, don’t like stubs, just a habit…
Thanks, that makes sense! Without knowing how well shielded that line is, it could be acting like an antenna or receiving an induced current from the DATA lines.
@vee - I don’t have schematics of the Matrix. If I did, I could have made a more informed decision. As an engineer, I am always being cautious. In this instance, the probability is very small there is an antenna issue; however, while I have the USB cable hooked to my solder station alligator clips, it is really easy to just tape both pins. A power line running next to a data line can be problematic; however, there has to be a sufficient amplitude of noise to couple onto the data line. I don’t know what that noise source could be on the target (Matrix) end so it is just as easy to prohibit anything than to risk anything… in addition, I do not know where the internal USB power line goes to in the matrix and as you point out, the data line could couple and effect the Matrix performance… who knows…
I think you would have gotten it if he had spelled it tapped, rather than taped.
all good, was my mistake, I read it fast…
As I’m not handy with kapton tape, I used the Sbooster Vbus2 isolator thingie…
Hi Andy, thanks for mentioning the Sbooster vbus2 thingie, I did not know that existed. I just ordered one for myself. I discovered the Matrix does not always switch from USB power when an external power supply is connected.
How did you discover it does not always switch over to external power? I’d like to test that without muddling w my usb. Or does anyone in fact have a way to verify that the matrix is running on external LPS?
I have the same question. I’m under the impression that it will use the given power if given the opportunity.
I was using an external 7.5v power supply and the Matrix ran very cool to the touch when other users were saying theirs ran warm to hot. I thought that was strange why mine was different. I just recently bought a 7v Farad Super3 and switched that in. Amazing difference to the sound. The Matrix now ran warm, hmmm…
Where I live, we always have blips of power outages and it shuts down the DS ( I see that it reloaded itself because the volume is at 25)and my Innuous, which means I have to reboot Roon and or Tidal. This last time this happened the Matrix was running cool again and the sound kinda sucked, the Farad sound was not the there. I disconnected the Farad and there was no difference in sound compared to USB powered sound. Plugged it back in and still the same USB powered sound. Was going to go the Kapton tape route when I came upon the Sbooster Vbus thingie. When It arrives I want to see if my Matrix is maybe faulty now from the Hydro power blips, or its always been faulty.
I think the only way to test is to unplug your LPS and listen and replug it in and listen. There should be a noticeable difference in sound with the LPS. I don’t think you would muddle your USB because you don’t need to touch it. The Matrix should switch automatically.
I have a Lumin U1 Mini. Do I use the Matrix with the Wyred4Sound Recovery or in place of with an HDMI cable?
I didn’t like my matrix w recovery. But try it.
My current chain is Roon Nucleus+ USB out to Curious Link to Uptone Audio ISO Regen with Vbus2 5v blocker to a Synergistic Research Atmosphere USB cable to the Matrix’ USB input, then AQ Mocha HDMI I2S into the DSD Sr.
My Matrix is powered by an Uptone JS-2 and the ISO Regen is powered by an Uptone LPS 1.2.