Matrix X-SPDIF 2

The original House of Music was on Union Street.
It had wonderful fish tanks full of fish.

They were a large dealer for B and W, Macintosh and Nakamichi.

I purchased my first B and W home and car speakers there

1 Like

My latest tweek to the Spdif has arrived. I will see if it makes a difference in my system. The Sbooster V-bus

1 Like

I just tried the usb sigma again after more break in, and the gap with the usb omega is still big. After hearing the omega, i just don’t want to listen to the sigma. I will give the sigma one more day of break in. I can’t wait to go back to the omega. Patience …

1 Like

I find that most of the time, the Top line cables from the same manufacture sounds better than their lower line products. The lower the line, the more the compromise.
I almost bought the Omega, if I didn’t come across the deal with the Valhalla2 first. If the Valhalla2 don’t work for me, I probably will sell it and get the Omega. But there’s still the Chord Sarum T to consider.

1 Like

No delivery date yet for the Chord Sarum T and ChordMusic.
I will let you know what I think when I get them.
I they are as good as the Sarum aes, they might beat the omega …

1 Like

Hello,
excuse my English, but I am French and I go through a translation platform
I have a PS AUDIO DAC
I am currently using a MATRIX AUDIO X SPEDIF 2 interface
I am very happy with the sound, but in the bass sound, I find that it is not very well defined.
I bought very good quality USB and HDMI cables.
Do you have the same problem as me?

I would like to buy another interface
the AUDIO GD DI 20HE, but I don’t know if it is compatible with my perfectwave PS AUDIO DAC. Is the sound quality of this interface better than the MATRIX?
thank you very much
eric

Welcome @legrand
Eric, in my experience the Martrix improves the bass. Only yesterday, I tried USB into the DS DAC and music sounded so bland and body-less. I went back to the Matrix in less than 10 minutes. However, like many others, I am using a linear power supply for the matrix and that may have a role.
I do not know anyone who tried the DI-20HE, so no experience.
By the way there is a dedicated thread for the Matrix and our good friend @Elk may be able to merge this with it.

Merged!

2 Likes

Hi legrand,
Are you using the Matrix with an external high quality power supply like the Farad Super 3? An external lps makes a pretty significant difference in the sound including the bass.

2 Likes

Thank you :sunflower:

Hi Eric,

I use Audio GD DI-20HE with my DS DAC. After heaps of Matrix reading and online research I decided on DI-20HE. It’s great in my rig with one of latest Audio GD FPGA firmware. You’d be amazed of the sound like me I believe.

If so pair it with a HDMI cable like RAL, it’s another experience. Head to Audio-GD DI-20 | Page 175 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org you would see lengthy discussion there as well. Of course there is more expensive less DIY looking product from Denafrips GAIA or IRIS as well.

BTW I’ve just read someone’s opinion on battery power station, then I got one 375W to power my DS and DI-20HE. So happy with the noise floor drop, I tend to crank the volume up more now.

Have fun!

I have been safely ignoring Head-fi.org for some time now. It used to be an obsession. I followed the link to read up on the Audio GD DI-20HE and oh my, it all came rushing back. A very high noise to signal ratio. Yikes.

Anyway, I would be pleased to hear from someone who has directly compared a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to a Audio GD DI-20HE. Gosh.

1 Like

:grin: well I should have headed to audiosciencereview: My suggestion: you should Never Ever Forever consider this manufacturer’s products. is the conclusion for Audio GD. Then I gonna cancel DS as well :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: since it’s the trend

1 Like

The sigma is going back to my dealer, the omega is staying and will be compared to the chord Sarum and Music.
The sigma is a very good cable, much better than my old AQ coffee.
But the omega plays in different league. The gap between omega and sigma is bigger than the gap between sigma and AQ coffee. Omega brings me to the recording session.
Chord Sarum and Music will have to be amazing to beat it.

2 Likes

Are you using the RAL HDMI? So if you like the WW Platinum more than the Valhalla2 HDMI, the RAL should beat both of them in your system?

1 Like

Yes, RAL with the Matrix, and ww platinum with the PST.
I am still waiting for an AQ Dragon 48 from my dealer to compare to the ww.

1 Like

Please let us know what do you think once you try it.
In my setup when NOT feeding 5V via USB to Matrix the sound gets “digital” bright , congested etc.
I’m using USB split cable - data going go RPi streamer and VCC going to 5V LPS.

Hey Philippe, I cant remember you mentioning your source what you´re using with matrix setup? Just to enlighten things a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to hear that Omega usb smokes Sigma.Why? Now Al must go shopping cables again :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
( maybe me too ) :cold_face: :cold_face: but not usb cables…reason being that I eagerly wait for Octave streamer to get ready for sale,and it´s best output is i2s hdmi straight out,right?

By the way I rolled back using Uptone lps 1.2 with Matrix and it sounds awesome :slight_smile:
Farads powering Etherregen and router. So far this is the best combo by far. It never fails to surprise me how things change when rolling back and forth these things.

1 Like

Source: Nucleus + and Lumin U1 into Matrix.

Octave output is I2S indeed, but what about it’s input? Ethernet ? USB ?

Anyway, with Roon for life, the Nucleus + and the Lumin U1, I will pass on Octave. Past PSA software endeavors do not inspire confidence: e-lyric, DMP, problems with DSD updates, …
Their sources and regenerator hardware are great, however.

1 Like

Al definitely must get the Omega, unless he is no longer using an USB connection. I heard he no longer is using the Matrix with his new DAC which doesn’t have an I2s input.
If you do get the Octave, maybe you can try with and without the Matrix and let us know which is better. The Matrix does more than just convert the output, it also re-clocks and process, and reduces jitter, and might improve the sound regardless.

3 Likes