Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Octave input will of course be ethernet as with all streamers. But yeah I`m sure Paul and the crew have learned their lessons and they will release new streamer only after careful testing and be sure all is fine including SQ,software and hardware. Or they will not succeed with it.

When Octave streamer finally launches I`m sure here will be lots of info how it sounds it´s best. With Matrix or not etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Philippe
Have you tried Nucleus+ direct to the Matrix? Pour moi, c’est ainsi que cela sonne le mieux!

Hi Serhan,
Yes I have, and I am sad to report that the Lumin U1 makes a big improvement. My wallet was sad as well :disappointed_relieved:.
And the improvement increased with the Leedh volume control, added in a recent firmware release. It really sprinkles magic and brings the music alive.
By the way, Roon recommends using the Ethernet output of the Nucleus.
Feel free to erase this post from your memory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Well, you’re happy; wallet, not :wink: Others said the U1 is great.
So your current config is Nucleus+ > LAN into Lumin U1 > USB into Matrix > I2S into DS DAC?

1 Like

Correct, Serhan.

Now I am praying that @Somppsa is wrong and that I don’t have to open my wallet again and trade in my Lumin for an Octave or other PSA streamer :grimacing:.

1 Like

Well, Octave will merge all your boxes into one. And hearing is believing. Do whatever it takes to have a demo first. Roon compatibility is a big thing for me, not because of the lifetime subscription paid (I lose much more than that on trade ups) but the difficulty of learning something new, LOL.

1 Like

If you’re committed to Roon then I would stick with the U1 or the Aries G2.1 and be happy.

2 Likes

Al is not convinced he needs to consider the Shunyata Omega USB cable.
It’s all just ones and zeros, all USB cables sound exactly the same.
If you hear a difference it’s because you want to hear a difference.

Everyone knows this. Sheesh.

4 Likes

Totally agree about Roon.

It’s been my experience that all in one boxes are inferior to separates most of the time. But not always, cf Devialet etc. And PSA keeps coming out with great stuff. I didn’t think that the PST would improve a lot on the DMP, but it does.

1 Like

The voice of reason.
Roon (née Sooloos) has 20+ years experience in server software.
And the established streamer companies have a 10+ years head start on PSA.
PSA has the advantage of the « home turf », i.e. they are developing servers/streamers mostly for their own DACs.

I have just invested in the full Matrix experience (Farad, RAL etc) thanks to this thread, and it has brought my streaming to another level. This forum is dangerous for the wallet, but great for SQ :cowboy_hat_face:

Ah, That’s where I’m going wrong. I thought it was all zeros and ones :wink:

2 Likes

Same problem for me at the Roon forums. Still look at it, but am spending far less time there. Enjoy this forum and headphones.com

Gonna order me one of them Belkin USB cables, “Theyse” all the same… :grinning:

Does your setup do the final unfold on tidal MQA files?

1 Like

Sure. The Lumin U1 does it upon receiving the signal from Nucleus over the LAN cable. MQA authentication takes place in Roon core, then Lumin unfolds the other layer(s)

Not with the Lumin, but I have the bridge 2, which does full MQA according to PSA.

Thanks, Serhan
I’ve been streaming for 2 years, and haven’t used my DSMP in more than a year. My system is evolving and seems to improve every time I listen.
Currently my chain is router-ethernet-ether rendu-ultrarendu-matrix-DSD I2S input. Uptone LPS1.2’s power the Matrix and Ultrarendu, and wireworld platinum are my connectors.
I’ve been looking for a way to get the last MQA unfold as I’ve removed the bridge II from my DSD. I stream Tidal and I’m a Roon lifer.
My next step may be a Roon nucleus+ and Lumin mini.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

Oh, so Lumin cannot unfold the second layer?

Please hold your horses. Philippe has a comment regarding the unfolding capabilities of Lumin.

The Lumin streamers do not do a second or full MQA unfold and I’m pretty sure that you need an MQA certified DAC to be able to the full MQA unfold.