Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Esoteric seems to recognise the full package. But I cannot confirm it is unfolding. Which connection do you use into the DAC?

USB out from Esoteric>Matrix>I2S >DS.

May be a quick test without matrix could confirm the final rate out of N-03. Also, I noticed that bridge and DS DAC support up-to 352.8. So 48 unfolds to 192 max. As 384 is not supported.
In my view first unfold is quite good as you noted,.

going straight into DAC with USB is the same. PCM 88.2k 24 bits on DS screen.

I haven’t had enough time for a fair evaluation yet but I wanted to let you know I will post as soon as I get a chance.

1 Like

I have a Lumin U1 Mini, Teddy Pardo dual power supply, Matrix SPDIF-2 and AQ cables for $2950 in the Marketplace if anyone is interested.

1 Like

This confirms what you said earlier. You are getting the first unfold only. But if you like the sound, who cares about the additional layers!

1 Like

FYI:

wklie
Peter Lie Firmware Lead of LUMIN Network Music Players
March 8

Only MQA Core decoding (first unfold) to digital output.

No certified MQA device with digital output can render MQA.

If you want MQA rendering or full decoding, you will have to use a MQA DAC with analog output, including our Lumin products with analog outputs.

That’s an interesting one. Is the final unfolding done by the psa bridge card, or the dac itself. If it is the bridge card, then that would break that rule as it has digital out and in theory could be hardware hacked to think it’s connected the psa dac when it’s not.

Back to cables for a minute…

Testimonials here seem to suggest that RAL cables are superior to the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7.

I’m willing to dip my toes (without holding my breath) into an RAL cable, but would it be better to replace the USB cable that runs from my OpticalRendu to the Matrix, or to replace the HDMI/I2S cable that goes from the Matrix to the DirectStream?

Ummm, or both?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that Bridge II does the full unfold. That’s probably the main reason many use it, as it degrades the sound of the other inputs.

Thank you for your time John.
Am not leaving my DS DAC because it allows me to enjoy my old CD collection and all the lovely memories they carry :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi @John_Dubya,
As I promised you and @waymanchen11, I have done the test using both 44.1 / 24 as well as 48 / 24.
In Roon, I see the first unfold to 88.2 and 96 respectively. Then it says MQA studio next to Bridge stage.
On the screen, I see 44.1 and a blue MQA, or 48 and green MQA.
MQA playback via Bridge is spectacular and is obviously well implemented. However, my regular 44.1/16 playbacks lose some air and liveliness. Still in love with DS DAC + Matrix :heart_eyes:

1 Like

A point of clarification:

B-II is a MQA prerequisite with the DirectStream DAC. MConnect is not. A variety of rendering/RC software will work.

1 Like

Perhaps this discussion about MQA could be moved to its own thread or merged with another MQA thread.

3 Likes

Thanks for going through all the trouble. I am quite happy with the first unfold and don’t really want to mess around with getting a bridge so I’ll wait until I get my next DAC. I wonder if the DS Mk II will have this feature built in.

As to the question impose by @RobH, the answer is absolutely both. Unfortunately the USB cable makes just as much difference as the HDMI. I have tried various USB cables and the sound quality varies considerably. It can get very expensive if you want the best like @aangen who got just about the best out there, the Shunyata Sigma USB. But for most, the WW platinum USB is good enough.

2 Likes

MConnect stinks. Roon controls bridge II very well as it’s Roon ready.
All of the information on a recording is available on my Apple ipad whether I’m using the bridge or HDMI from Matrix.
I haven’t looked at the DSD screen in a very long time while streaming.

Bridge II is third party Conversdigital, it’s based upon their mconnect and CDMCM-210 modules fully unfolding MQA up to 24/192:

Enough about mqa and back on topic (with Qobuz delivering the real thing anyways;-)

Yes, I only subscribe to qobuz

So much fuss over a lossy format. :man_shrugging:

I’m so glad I switched to Qobuz when it became available here.