Matrix X-SPDIF 2

De Gustibus.

1 Like

Please forgive me for coming late to the Matrix topic. The thread is so long that I want to make sure I haven’t missed something important.

My intention is to add Matrix as follows, based in part on what I have on hand:

Roon Nuke to Matrix via Cardas Clear USB, with 7v Small Green Computer powering Matrix; then to DSD with Transparent HDMI.

Are these decent choices, or is something else advisable?

In particular I noticed that most recommendations mentioned using upper-echelon AQ or WW USB. I’d been using Cardas Clear USB and wonder if it has a bad rep in this setting?

TIA for advice/suggestions.

The choice of cable is a combination of personal preference and how far down the rabbit hole you are willing to go. If you are happy with the combo you have then start out with it and see what you think before buying something else.

1 Like

Welcome @thompsonkirk! Yes strap yourself in and enjoy endless Matrix Spdif 2 cable recommendations on this thread! It all comes down to how much you want to invest on the sub $500 Matrix. Some like me :money_mouth_face: Have spent enough money on power supplies, USB, and HDMI cables to purchase another 4 or 5 Matrix Spdifs! So enjoy!

I found the Matrix to sound better with SGC power supply adjustment at 6V versus 7. It is easily adjusted by turning a brass screw on a green voltage regulator internal. The meter on the supply is pretty accurate. The HDPLEX 300 supply that SGC sell sounds best compared with other supplies at 7.5 V but is not adjustable to 6V for the matrix. You can also use it on a nucleus being 4 LPS in one box.

I would try your USB and HDMI. I like the Inakustik USB that SGC sells. The RAL HDMI Is wonderous.

There are no bad combinations of cables or LPS. Unfortunately the more you spend the better sound you get usually.

Is 9v input okay for Matrix?

5V LPS here. Tried 7.5V previously, and it got really warm and sounded a bit edgy. So back to 5V. Edit: Manufacturer allows 5 - 9V.

2 Likes

Depend onyour system and preferences. It add too much exaggerated recording space spatial cues in my system. The matrix will handle it if your set up needs more. It ends up sounding exaggerated in my system with some recordings. I would say it depends on your systems noise floor. I tried to like it, but some love it i hear more recording space than music in mine. But i have line array speakers where that info doesn’t roll off like a point source. Don’t be afraid to try it since system dependent.

1 Like

At 5v my matrix uses the USB power from UltraRendu still. I can’t get my HD Plex to power to work that low due to my matrix. Sounds same as remote power plug pulled to Matrix. Maybe yours works down there.

I thought the HDPlex 5V sounded better than USB power. Will re-compare!

External power plug says 6 to 9v on my matrix.

But that doesn’t mean your sensing circuit or supply 5v settings match up. A voltage meter shows my HDPLEX puts out 5.12 V in setting but matrix circuit is not switching over for me. Reminder don’t switch HD plex voltage knob while plugged into your unit.

I’ve done the 5v and the 9v. In my system to my ears 9v is the way to go.

You know what, I have to try that.

9v to my ears added more to the sound of my matrix. The 6v I guess is what I was using 5.5v with the ultra module but the 9v sbooster with ultra module on my Spdif made it come alive. 6v I had a hard time hearing a difference over the usb powering matrix.

I guess optimal voltage for Matrix system dependent - starting with LPS itself how it handles specific voltages (when adjustable) , or on the LPS properties itself if you are switching between different PSUs.
Besides typical PSU parameters like ripple voltage, there are differences on how is ground handled and also how the LPS affects power line. For example i find SBooster polluting my power line more than Farad3.
Also how much of the EMI come out from LPS to surrounding equipment (again Sbooster radiates more than Farad3 which I use as the reference).

I concur that 1st step should be to make sure the Matrix output module is really powered by the external LPS and not via the streamer USB - if not , the Matrix will still work but the SQ will suffer

And 2nd step is to make sure Matrix input module actually gets 5V from the streamer USB - if not , the Matrix will still work but the SQ will suffer again

3 Likes

Completely happy over here with the fully loaded 6v Farad on the Matrix (replaced Uptone lps1.2 to feed the EtherRegen;-)

2 Likes

For those that are not interested in premium priced cables, you can skip over this review, but for those looking for the best, this is a good candidate, the Valhalla2 USB from Nordost.
I just received my Valhalla2 USB and replaced my beloved Audience FrontRow USB and right away, I hear more music coming out. Astounding inner detail. More body and complexity, more separation and dimensionality of instruments. It makes the FrontRow sound more crude and flat. Unfortunately, it cost a bit, but for me, I can’t go back. I started with the Cardas Clear Premium Dual USB, while it sounded nice and sweet, the FrontRow was much more clear and revealing, but this Valhalla2, it’s something else!!
It looks like I’m paying $3k for the box and $500 for the cable.

4 Likes

Some manufacturers know the importance of presentation.

1 Like

My feelings exactly. I have tried other voltages and my ears prefer 9 volts.

3 Likes

At buyer’s cost please! :smile:

1 Like