Matrix X-SPDIF 2

try it without the Matrix. If it works then you must have a defective matrix. Possibly from plugging and UN-plugging while everything is powered up?

The Aurender by itself works fine when using direct connections to the DirectStream Jr. (e.g., Coax to DAC, or USB to DAC).

The Matrix could be defective, but it works when I replace the Aurender with a regular computer (i.e., Computer-- USB-- Matrix-- HDMI-- DAC). At first I thought maybe it’s the iFi iPower X, but I tried it with and without the iFi iPower X (9V) and it still works when using a computer.

Thanks for helping me think through this.

Also, I’ve sent a remote support request to Aurender and posted this question on the Matrix Audio forum.

OK… Sounds like the Matrix is NOT the problem. Sounds like the Matrix Driver for the Aurender.

Just changing the conversation thread for a moment, I discovered a cool feature when connecting USB to the Matrix. I’m currently using my general-purpose Windows PC while a more suitable server/streamer solution is in the ‘budgetary planning’ phase. :roll_eyes: It just happens to be a pretty grunty gaming PC on which I recently discovered there are a couple of USB connections whose voltage rail can be set in the BIOS. You can increase the voltage but, more importantly, you can switch it off entirely. The manual calls it the ‘audiophile setting’. :yum:

Anyway, great for connecting an (externally powered) X-SPDIF 2!

5 Likes

that’s really nice feature, you can be always sure Matrix is powered by external PSU :+1:

1 Like

An update to my original post (Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - #5449 by lmf22) where I was not getting any sound from the Matrix when using it with my Aurender N100C.

Aurender did a remote session a couple of days ago and fixed the problem! Their team found that the Matrix has “two volume controller interface and one of that was set to 0%.” They reset it back to 100% and everything is working now. They will implement this fix in future Aurender software updates.

9 Likes

I was using a Mac with pure music and audirvana over 10 years ago with a USB external dac. Around 5 years ago, I decided to go with a dedicated streamer that I thought sounded the best and that had the best software and that was the Auralic Aries, sounded better than either the Lumin or Aurender. I had the best usb cable you could buy, a couple usb tweak products, with a good quality external dac.
Since usb is the worst interface to use for audio and to prove it, look at all the products out there to try to make it better, and I had some of them, I went a completely different route. I sold the Aries, all the usb cable/tweak products, and the external dac and went to a ps audio DS jr dac and Mac mini/or a $50k commercial server for a test running either Roon or audirvana using Ethernet with the best Ethernet cable to the dac at the time. IMO, you should never have a server of any kind in your audio room and the usb interface is the worst interface. I did run Roon on Linux on a enterprise server with all enterprise nvme/ssd storage. This server had fans that sounded as loud as a jet engine but since it was far away from my audio room, it didn’t matter. I compared this server running Linux/Roon vs a 2012 Mac mini (all using Ethernet, and now ps audio DS sr dac, servers far away from my listening room), I didn’t hear any difference is SQ. Now you see more and more dac designers claiming usb is the wrong way to go. In the near future, I would like to try using i2s but then I need to have things setup differently and localized and it’s difficult to find a quality box that outputs hdmi i2s.

If you wait a little longer, the upcoming PS Audio Octave server might be one hell of a server as far as sound quality is concern with I2S output, or for a disc player, the PS Audio PST that will partner very well with your DS DAC.

2 Likes

Well after a 4 year run, it appears my Matrix has failed. I get white noise when I try to stream DSD. I thought it might be ROON related but the USB works fine. Right now it’s DoP to the DSD. I’ll have to consider a replacement. Not another Matrix as it’s been an on and off affair with me.

Sorry to hear that!

If DoP works, but dsd does not, then I’d be surprised if it is the matrix.

It doesn’t pass DoP I have it directly connected to the DSD

1 Like

Sorry it quit on you.

How much voltage did its power supply put out?

2 Likes

I used 7.5 and 9 but it barely got warm at any voltage. I used 7.5 because I couldn’t hear any difference with 9V, 7.5V or 5V.

1 Like

Does it work without the external power supply connected? If so, it would indicate the input regulator.

Still fails with USB power directly.

Here is the Matrix 3M AB7050HF EMI and RF absorber tweak.

If you remove the feet you can install it internal on the Top of chassis. Absorber works through metal quite well. You have to cover the FPGA xlinx Spartan chip and the USB XMOS. Too much absorber will muffle the sound 17 mm and 27 mm squares located as depicted.

It gives you more of everything. Clearer highs, deeper bass, great midrange, imaging a 3D soundstage. If you have a regenerator see my P15 and P20 post.

It’s not pretty stuck external but oh does it work! If you go bigger you will muffle the sound. My Matrix is not a show piece but buried under my left speaker. Computers in your cabinet are not your friend.

5 Likes

@vmax thank for the tip - now i’m really considering ordering this 3M absorber

btw i’ve noticed they mention it’s effective for ribbon cables - did someone tried it on the ribbon cable from digital to analog board inside the DS?

@Maniac There is a post of modding the DS DAC where I collected all of Ted’s recommendations of what to add shielding or absorber too and what frequencies they emit. I added absorber to the components just forward of that ribbon cable from digital board that pases over the devices. I used a slightly different absorber AB 6005S that is thinner and more pliable that went lower in frequency and had a foil shield. I also covered the output transformers with it.

It is a highly effective mod. I used only a small amount of AB 7050HF in the DS for a small wall protecting emissions from display radiating towards analog board

2 Likes

Any Inakustik USB owners who could share what burn in was like? (If it’s a furutech-rhodium-esque rough ride, please just lie to me)