Michael Fremer’s Power Saga

I always store my priceless acetate albums right next to the furnace, too.

2 Likes

This pic is essentially, from a power prespective, ANYPLACE in NJ. Just sayin’. Has nothing whatever to do with if the power is buried in the ground or is suspended from poles.

You simply continue to reveal your shocking cluelessness, Steve-O.

London-Town. All buried cables to homes. Lovely.

Imagine, if you will, the Vast Acreage of the U.S. Of A. - and however we’ve sorted out the power grid hereabouts. Any given state or two roughly representing the acreage and Power Grid of England.

Nothing whatever to do with the quality or sound of the power that gets to one’s stereo, as much as you would appear to infer.

1 Like

The Z Stabilizer was good in its day as a parallel filter but wouldn’t add much of anything to a P20.

But it is a picture of an excellent restaurant in Bangkok.

3 Likes

Just got around to watching the video, that’s Michael (or Mikey as some call him) at his “normal” state. Not sure if he drinks coffee, but if he does it must be continuous (or by IV!). I’ve seen him speak several times and it is always that frenetic.

I asked this same question in a different thread. James got back to me stating that there is isolation between outlets.

1 Like

But as an Audiophile, one cannot bear to eat there, as the power they employed to cook the food is…not up to snuff.

Particularly if you get a Window Seat. Horrors! Spoils anything on the plate.

Never mind if they use gas. The quality and color of the lighting in the restaurant must suck, based on the wiring.

I just figured his delivery was a New York/Jersey thing, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Call it local color, the spice of life!

2 Likes

This was my impression. Not at all unusual, given his history and locale. But’cha know - Judgement based on the Spot on the Planet you inhabit, not to mention your…other…associations and attributes…:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

There are excellent restaurants in Bangkok - not sure that is one of them.

No, it’s caffeine. Most but not all New Jersey people speak that way.
But it takes me forever to get a sentence out.
My uncle Angelo would still be here if it didn’t take me so long between “watch” and “out”.

3 Likes

It is excellent.

But I am absolutely certain you have been to better. And will tells us this is so.

There are many wonderful restaurants in this city.

3 Likes

Thailand is street food - and a few nice tourist restaurants. The Sky Bar at the Lebua - from the movie Hangover 2 - is a bucket list place.

I’ve got a Kohler generator and transfer switch, which unfortunately get a lot of use. The transfer switch has a very sketchy circuit board in it that the generator techs tell me degrades over time. Chronic buzzing heralds eventual failure. The tech believes it is not a relay, but something relating to a diode—this is all beyond me. But in a course of 5 yrs, I have had to repair or replace that board twice. I wouldn’t be surprised if that digital board has potential to effect the character of the power delivered to the house, since it is always monitoring the status of incoming mains power.

It’s always validating when someone is old enough to be familiar with any of the components in my audio system. Thanks.

Looking through the manuals from the Spectral amplification system, they emphasize that the system is designed to operate specificially with the MIT (MusicInterfaceTechnology) cabling (those gigantic mystery boxes at each end of all the MIT cables and interconnects); and also to function as a unit with all the MIT power filtering/isolating boxes. Perhaps the latter have become antiquated. All this stuff was marketed with Wilson Watt/Puppies as the “Sonic Hologram” system in the 1990s.

I just did a little experiment with all the Z-stuff. Left the Z-Stabilizer inline; it feeds the Power Amp. Removed the ISO-DUO and HC. The HC (highcurrent) unit which serves the preamp, makes an obvious but not overwhelming improvement in sound quality. The ISO-DUO, whose banks isolate the PSA DMP and DS from one another, makes a HUGE difference in sound quality. All the above is supplied via two new 20A circuits.

Which leads me to the question: Given the impact from the Z-ISO-DUO on the PSA digital front end, I’m wondering if the P20 similarly isolates the digital components from one another. I’m not finding guidance on optimal use of the various sets of outlets on the P20. Advice anyone?

Hi @Elk
You have been on this forum for 9 years! Congratulations :tada:

4 Likes

Thank you!

I was unaware. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Happy Anniversary my friend!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for keeping threads on topic.

1 Like

Indeed, regenerators from PS Audio isolate extremely well but by different means than other products.

A Power Plant has magnitudes lower output impedance than the wall socket. This is because of the active feedback loop that regulates the output power. With such low output impedance, connected equipment cannot develop a noise voltage across the output and thus any noise generated by connected equipment is effectively squashed.

7 Likes