Mk1200 and BHK Pre vs BHK 250 Amp and BHK Pre

Update: Noticed some noise while nothing was playing out of the right speaker (more than the left (up close))…where the volume clicking first caught my attention. The question is, do I replace the right amp or pre first? Have a decent tube library to explore, with some newbies, but it might be worth my time to identify the exact culprit and label it for disposal from the semi-working tube world.

I would try to

1. swapping right/left tubes into the BHK Pre

2. swapping right/left M1200s

if popping issue will follow 1) I would change the tubes of the BHK Pre

if popping issue will follow 2) I would first try to change the tube of the mono or both of them

if popping issue will remain the same, still audible more from the right loudspeaker:

I would try to swap the right/left little boards (TP25-TP26) behind the tubes on the BHK Pre (last BHK Pre models have these boards easily removable - I read on the forum that some member out there had these boards soldered and not able to be detached)

I fixed a bad channel noise 1 year ago caused by this board, even if popping volume was/is always audible from my speakers, in the same way right and left.

Pay attention to reinsert the boards very gently, without bending the pins and accurately plugging them into the socket connectors (each pin into the corresponding hole). Sometimes just a gently (very very gently I beg you) reconnection of one of these boards may provide an audible difference when you have some noise issue with one channel.

All of this in my personal experience, tested more than one time.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s very kind of ya to spend your time entertaining my matter. These components have been very solid performers, so I certainly expect it to be a tube matter. Ah, the joys of audiophilium.

1 Like

When I needed help with my noise issue and I was feeling so frustrated (as children we start crying if our systems are less than perfect!) a member here inspired me and I solved the problem. If I can be useful in some way to others now it’s just my occasion to give back what I received.

I think that this forum is fundamental if all of us still continue sharing our experiences.

Sometimes taking sometimes giving.

3 Likes

One preamp tube is left chan and the other right, right?

1 Like

Correct. When you are facing the preamp the left tube and left small board is left channel.
I had some noise show up a year or two ago and just reseating the small boards made it go away. I also had noise issues using 6 volt tubes although others haven’t had problems. I switched back to 12v tubes and haven’t had any noise issues since then.

1 Like

@luca.pelliccioli you’re amazing, I’ve had a hum in the Headphone output of my BHK Pre since day 1, but never sent the unit in as I never use it. I don’t have the confidence you have in opening the Pre, but i admire your DIY ability… Watching the Giro live daily!, ciao

1 Like

Just had good suggestions from members of this forum, I usually consider a big challenge also a lamp bulb change at home (as my wife says). More theoretical guy than practical, this is me.

This hobby made me a different man (sometimes).

Grazie comunque.

1 Like

I have this, too! It is extremely rare that I’m interested in headphones, but I did try it once and it was a deal breaker with my Grado SR-80s. I need to figure that out, too.

I did replace the single 6922 GL tube in my pre this morning with the one I replaced, and the results are good but not fantastic. I still have light popping with volume, but am almost certain Paul has said this isn’t unexpected. The good news is it isn’t as obnoxious as with the other tube. Thanks for the suggestion to start with that specific pre-tube, @luca.pelliccioli and @Baldy. I clearly labeled it “noisey” and moved it out of the way. Also, my board felt soldered where you suggested a swap, but I didn’t pull too hard.

The direction I’m taking next will be to go back to 12v tubes. Think I have that same lovely batch of Salvania’s (?) that many here bought, a bunch of brand new GL 12s, and even some factory tubes from PS Audio, all ready to report to work.

2 Likes

Thank you.

After various tube rolling months I definitely keep the 12AU7 Gold Lion as my last tubes for BHK Pre. Period!

Boards soldered maybe are better, because they inherently seat correctly into their connectors. Almost until you need to change them for some reason. In this case a removable model let save you time and shipments of the unit to replace. Pros and cons to consider, as always.

Volume popping? Oh I can live with it sincerely.