Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

There are precious few places where you don’t need one in general. I’d always use one if I were working on someone else’s hardware :slight_smile: For myself I always work barefoot and touch something to ground myself whenever I get up or down before I begin to work and have been lucky so far. On the other hand the digital board and analog boards should be able to withstand a “standard” spark from a human - in particular the analog outputs themselves can take a lot of abuse. I didn’t like it at all when someone used one of the static zappers on my naked prototype boards, but when the static potential dissipated everything was fine…

4 Likes

Thanks Ted! Installed the transformers. Boy what a job it was! It was hard to get all the legs desoldered. I used a solder sucker as well as solder braid. I also moved the Bybee thing from the center of the top cover to where it is now over the digital board. Listening to Bach, Michael Murray Telarc recording. The sound is fuller, more effortless. Will keep you all updated!

3 Likes

Did you use a manual solder sucker or an electric?

1 Like

Manual.

1 Like

I just replaced my manual solder sucker a few months ago. I was surprised at how much better it was over the one I replaced. Even after a thorough cleaning and replacing the O-ring on the old one, it just wasn’t as good as the new one. I can’t explain it. On a good note, they are cheap.

1 Like

Which one?

This is what I have used over the years, and it has served me well. Spare tips are recommended.
Make sure you are grounded with an anti-static wrist strap and work pad. As they say cheap insurance.

Edysn SOLDAPULLT

2 Likes

I purchased this one:

Tabiger Solder Wick & Desoldering Pump, Solder Sucker & Desoldering Wick, 2pcs Solder Braid (2.5mm Width, 1.5m Length)- Desoldering Vacuum Pump Solder Remover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777LMVTT/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XVBGKN1Y5Z0FMA7ZR8M8

1 Like

I just ordered this one! I wish I had seen this a few months ago. I am pretty sure that’s the same model I used when I worked at Hughes a long, long time ago.

1 Like

Respect for all that did the job manually.:see_no_evil:
I did use a Weller set that did it easily.

2 Likes

This is the one I used almost 40 years ago when I started at Sperry Gyro! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This one looks cool, though.

It would go with my HAKKO soldering station. :grin:

1 Like

I am on my third. I have been using them in one form or another since my high school days, and work at CERL as an undergrad. Have served mw well. Patience and application of proper heat is the path to success.

1 Like

That is a great one when one anticipates a significant amount of de-soldering. Pricey for just the occasional job.

It’s like an old friend has come to visit.

3 Likes

Nice, very nice. Spare tips as well?

Yes, they are coming on our next Amazon day.

Thanks for reminding me in case I forgot, I appreciate it.

1 Like

I guess I won’t be getting the transformers. As I live in the UK ordered from Don Audio at start of July. Delivery was originally a month or so and then they changed it to 150 days. They haven’t responded to any of my emails. Terrible customer service. Got paypal involved who provided a full refund without question. Is there any other companies that can provide the transformers in the UK?

No, Don is your only route. The problem is not with Don (apart from Aaron not replying to email) the problem is with the American manufacture, basically they won’t make them for anyone outside mainland USA

well heck. i just received my transformers from edcor. + $80 delivered to me in st. louis, mo with taxes and freight. ill order you a pair and you can pay me that plus what the freight is to the UK? i mean. just dont tell anybody! lol. they say lead time is 8 to 12 weeks. mine showed up in 7 weeks. lemme know and we can try and work something out?

4 Likes

You could use a freight-forwarding company like I did, there are many in the US. I’d start by contacting one of them to get an account and the US address to send the things to. I used a NZ company that forwards from the US to NZ and it was cheaper than the usual US couriers.