Modding the DirectStream DAC MKI

Thanks Ted, convinces me again to use the original cover and close it as soon as I soldered the starquad cable. I just wondered that in your open? DS the next cap still has 40 degree? Thought it might be less in an open unit. Thanks for your patience!

:pray:
I agree with you, Heā€™s perfect.

I just finished the external power supply mod and am enjoying the SQ. The transformer mod was also a big improvement. It just keeps getting better and better sounding. Itā€™s getting scary real sounding. Very large sound stage with tons of space between all the instruments and vocals. I have never heard anything like this before. I ordered a Denafrips Hermes DDC to clean up and convert USB to I2S. We will see if the DDC will make the same kind of improvements. Iā€™ll report back when the DDC arrives and is burned in.
A plus to going with the external power supply is it moves a lot of heat out of the DSD.

2 Likes

Are you going to try the shielding EMI/RF absorber mod too? I agree with your assessment s.

I did try the EMI treatment however I didnā€™t notice any change. Maybe because I donā€™t use the Bridge??

1 Like

I donā€™t use Bridge Either I did remote LPS and treatment same time. It was one collective boost in performance or so I assumed. But I suppose there are differences in material and how they are placed, pPus ones environment and systems. Variations in any of these could lead to different results. What matters is you like what you accomplished in the end.

1 Like

Are you sure you used paper with the correct spectrum addressed?

Yes. I used the same material recommended here. I did that before the external PS.

Ted.
Do you know where I can find the pin-outs of the Bridge II card edge? I might be able to use a couple of them for my external / Internal power supply mod.
Thanks!

I donā€™t have them. You might ask PS Audio support.

Ok, I just ask because there were different types of 3M, just one of those used by members here fitsā€¦.while the one Stillpoints type fits generally.

@jkrichards I ended up using this series of 3M material. Pretty much straight line shielding and absorption across frequency spectrum bands.

Ok, although I remember that the 10 MHz region, where it rapidly drops was also important, it looks as if it should work. If you hear for differences, air around instruments was the most obvious characteristic in my case. So you could try with a recording, featuring this.

Are people turning off the display for these listening tests? If not that might explain some discrepancies in experiences. For that matter unplugging unused inputs (just durring listening experiments) could also lessen some confounding variables.

4 Likes

Indeed my display is always turned off, but I expected that with display on, the effects of the shielding (also of the display) should be rather even easier audible than less?

Indeed display is off and only i2S active. One thing I found interesting after using an external LPS and more EMI and RF shielding for the analog board, The display post mod when turned on is much clearer and brighter than I recall previously. I did not touch display brightness controls. Any possible explanations? More available clean power to it perhaps after the digital board shielding and shielding over display plus the DS supply less taxed perhaps?

No clearly correct explanation, but sometimes just turning my DS off and back on (with the back switch) will clean up the display a little.

2 Likes

In general the less noise in the system the more obvious changes in noise are. Often a tweak will make an obvious difference after some other upgrades when the difference was less obvious or inaudible before those upgrades.

2 Likes

Yeah my DS Display was always hard to read 13 feet back in listening position Now it is clear as a bell even though I barely have 20/20. Though I only use it for volume indicators Amazing though how noise affects both video and audio clarity. I see why Shunyata is now selling cords from their medical imaging power division to the audiophile crowd.

I understand, makes sense.