Money, money, money

Measurements may make you more immune to remorse but monitors that measure well by a magnitude may not make you merry.

2 Likes

I liken those who succumb to audiophilia to the plight of auto modification enthusiasts, in that those who expect to get out of their projects that which they put in it are likely to be very, very disappointed in almost all cases.

Collectables (e.g., vintage cars, watches, art, etc.) are different. I don’t liken building and tweaking a Hi-Fi rig or a project car to collecting. Two entirely different passions, IMO.

FWIW.

British made / based products are usually a better value in the UK and US made / based products are usually a better value in the US.

Resale? Resale! What madness is this? I still have my 25+ year old PSB Stratus Golds, Audible Illusions Mark 3s (not the 3As or Bs). and Classe CA 100. (Of course they’re not set up any more. Dug the PSBs out just a few days ago and stuck it in my system in place of the Sopra 2s. Listened for a few hours and respectfully took them back out. :wink:)

2 Likes

Currently setting up my office with speakers with a 4" mid/bass and a 12" REL sub. Should be fun.

Unlimited funds, no; limited time; yes. Having reached the back, now or never, end of that continuum informed the decision to upgrade a 21 year old Adcom GFA-5802 stereo amp, 23 year old Audio Research LS2 preamp & 40 year old ADS LS810 loudspeakers. Terrific prices made it impossible to resist. 3 1/2 years later I regard these as the best audio related decisions I ever made. Re-sale value didn’t enter into the equation as I have neither the interest nor the inclination in making any changes (note the number of years before the upgrades & yes, I still, and always will, have them all). Although, given what I paid, I suspect I would recover much of the cost if the inclination should change.

2 Likes

I would say I still have every piece of gear I ever bought but my wife has forced me to make that not true. I had some old gear that so deserved a proper home that I donated them to said proper homes. But I still have the lions share of gear I have purchased.

My one big regret is I had a high school teacher build me a Lenco L75 Turntable with an Ortofon tonearm and after letting it sit unused for a few years I threw it away. As in threw it in a trash can and off it went. Several times I have bid on another one on eBay just to try to recover from such foolishness but as of today, no luck.

Now I have a new Turntable coming that costs more than my SUV and my Ducati combined and that will set two wonderful turntables aside.

(Which reminds me, I also gave a wonderful turntable to a friends younger daughter. She was so pleased!)

I have more money than sense, that is obvious.

(But soon I will have really swell new gear!)

1 Like

Those L810’s are so hard to improve on. I had to buy Wilsons to set my L710’s aside.
They still sound wonderful!!!

1 Like

ADS L810’s bring back memories, driven by a Son of Ampzilla, AGI 511A and Fulton Cables, my college system.

Eclectic system! ADS made some great car and home audio speakers. Adcom had some great gear over the years as well including the GFA 5802. Audio Research, enough said.

Thank you! I too find it frustrating to see mostly 12’ or bigger subs be the norm. I have Wharfedale EVO 4.2’s (that I adore) and SVS 12" subs…it’s great, but I can tell there is …something…empty between the 6 1/2" midbass driver of the Wharf’s and the SVS’. I also have a 10" Martin Logan sub that pairs beautifully with the Wharf’s but it is no longer in production. Not sure why 10" subs are not more prevalent.

Just realized that was all very off topic. My apologies…

2 Likes

Yes, which is why the L-810’s stayed in system for 40 plus years until replaced by Focal Sopra No.2’s. BTW, Luxman T-4 tuner, also in system 40 plus years, is still there & used most days.

2 Likes

My son is still using my L-810/II’s in his Family Room to this day. Great speaker in it’s time and still holds it’s own even now.

2 Likes

I don’t feel like I’ve wasted either.

Happy that you are, finally, incorporating a sub into your desktop system :slight_smile:

It’s a printer stand that happens to be the right colour and has a 12” driver in it. The printer is rattling, I may have to try some sorbothane feet. The sub was in the loft after someone put a fag end through the grille.

1 Like

“fag” in England, is a cigarette. (That could have been a sh#t show!) :dizzy_face:

1 Like

And down under (AU & NZ) too :+1:t2:

There is always a literalist in the group.

Guilty as charged I guess. Hard to tell if someone is being literal or not if you don’t know them.