Music that brings back your fondest childhood memories

Many Gershwin or Beethoven recordings as my father played these often when I was young and before I discovered any of my own musical avenues and pleasures.

Might not be the fondest childhood memories, but how many of you had Robert Preston singing “Chicken Fat” played during PE class?

3 Likes

I think it played every day in gym class for my entire high school years. And on a low-fi “record player” to boot.

If we’re going back way far, as a little kid I had a 45 of “Westward Ho, the Wagons,” with “(I’ve Got) Spurs that Jingle-Jangle-Jingle” on the flip side. I think it was from early some Walt Disney TV production. And I had a 7" EP with 4 Christmas song parodies sung by the 3 Stooges. There was a version of “Up on the Rooftop,” where the reindeer and sleigh fell through the roof, “Wreck the Halls” (“That didn’t hurt - this will hurt!”), “I Got a Cold for Christmas” (“Johnny got a brand new sled, with shiny runners painted red; he’s outside, but I’m in bed - I got a cold for Christmas”), and a fourth that’s now lost to memory, perhaps fortunately.

Slow dancing in the gym to Nights in White Satin.

2 Likes

That was my elementary school PE song as well. Never thought about it but I bet I remember all the words! Something drilled into your formative brain is gonna stick!

A little off topic but in line with the console stereo memories. We are building a new home in Fayetteville, Arkansas. I want to set up the main living area for casual listening and am looking hard at one of these: https://wrensilva.com/collections/stereo-consoles/products/standard-club-series
I know I could do better sound-wise for less with separates but I think my children and grandchildren would appreciate the experience.

1 Like

I had never heard of them until I saw a Facebook ad of theirs yesterday, and commented on it in the “I Love My VPI Turntable” group because it appeared to have, essentially, a VPI turntable in it. Someone there complained about the expense, but given what I’ve seen of their cabinetry, and the fact that it has components from VPI and B&O, I think it’s probably safe to say it’s actually reasonably priced for what you get. But given the presence of at least some house components (preamp and speakers most notably), I’d say it’s an open question whether one would be happy with the sound. Still, if you’re building a mid-century modern house, and the living room has to be just so, the design and build might outweigh the sound.

1 Like

If you love Machine Head, and forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, I would suggest you’d love In Rock for the tunes and Made in Japan for the performances.

:slight_smile: As a child in the UK in the 50s the most important radio program was Uncle Mac’s ‘Children’s Favourites’ at 09:00 every Saturday. A request program, and virtually every week you would hear the Teddy Bears’ Picnic, Big Rock Candy Mountain, and Nelly the Elephant. As the decade progressed the pop content increased, and you got Lonnie Donegan skiffle and the Everlies.

The main musical background in my childhood was song. Predominantly North Country and Irish Ballads. We even had a strictly enforced rule of ‘No singing at the table’. It seems bizarre looking back but at the time it was necessary!

3 Likes

It was Ed “Stewpot” Stewart with “junior Choice” weekend mornings for me - CLive Dunn “Grand Dad” requested every single episode :slight_smile: