https://www.freethinkeratlarge.com/the-girl-with-the-golden-ear/

5 Likes

I hadn’t, thanks for this,
<spoilers>

and now I know what the lyrics mean in that TL song too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting as all heck. Thanks.

1 Like

For me it was John Peel. Oh my goodness did he shape my music collection!!

3 Likes

John was a wacky guy, i.e. naming his children Lemon and Banana.

3 Likes

Fascinating. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

I don’t recall her specifically but CKLW was a powerful station and what most folks listened to for popular music in the southeast Detroit area before the advent of album oriented rock on FM. Thanks for jogging the fond memories.

1 Like

Those old am radio stations were a (figurative) lifesaver :slight_smile:

In the UK we had ones broadcasting from Europe, Ireland, and ships in the North Sea.

Couldn’t get radio Caroline (the famous north sea station) on my side of the country but Radio Luxembourg came through strong and clear in the evenings (as did the rest of the EU stations) - they played much better music at the time than the stuffy old BBC!

For entertainment and at least a flavour of the radio Caroline et al saga the film “the boat that rocked” is quite good :slight_smile:

1 Like

That name means nothing to me but I absolutely heard her influence growing up in the Detroit area. I listened to CKLW on my transistor radio for many hours. WKNR was the other pop station, but paled in comparison. By the time I could afford a “stereo” I moved on to FM which had been influenced by her choices. To this day I still enjoy someone else curating the music and telling me about it. Coincidentally it’s still a Canadian station, CBC Music.