My disappointment with Hi-Rez - am I expecting too much? Paul McCartney

More like this…

Excellent! :slight_smile:

Welp, yep, I did it again.

Supertramp, Crime of the Century… my original CD is way better than the 24/192 hi rez version… when will I learn? This recording was always a shining star for showing off dynamics and detail. Screw the hi rez version… just dull and lifeless. Sucks.

BTW, my Mobil Fidelity vinyl version was just unbelievably jaw-dropping. Oh well…

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

Proof for the 1000th time that mastering matters more than format.

2 Likes

Yes, by far.

Great listen. I’m flying to the USA & UK next week so these books by Alex Ross will be welcome companions for my trip.

He is an excellent music writer. I have learned a good deal from him.

The best Breakfast in America (including the old and new SACD mofi digital, the hires DVDA, the Japanese SACD, the Greg Calbi remastered CD and the old mofi vinyl) imo is the old A&M audiophile series LP.

The best Crime of the century (including the 40the anniversary hires, the 24\192 hires, the mofi CD, the old mofi vinyl and the old A&M audiophile series vinyl) imo is the Speakers Corner vinyl by short margin ahead of the A&M audiophile vinyl.

I’m a small Supertramp nut in this regard. I even have the rare Sweet thunder vinyl of „Even in the quietest moments :wink:

Maybe the only record I have more versions of is Miles/ Kind of blue and maybe a few others :wink:

Big Ups for SuperTramp lovers.

One of the best shows in a long time was Supertramp. Great, versatile musicians but the real star was the sound guy. There wasn’t an amp on stage and he was brilliant.

Indeed…that’s why I always have to smile when people talk about differences of sampling rates, gold plated discs or streaming vs. physical disc etc. while listening to crappy CD masterings with alternative masterings available that would sound better on equipment of half the price :wink:

1 Like