Neighbor in Apartment Above Banging on Floor!

Thanks for the housing clarification. You might talk to the upstairs tenants in a neighborly fashion, and inform them about the rug requirement, which would help dampen the sound. They might be unwelcoming, but you’ll never know until you try. I’d still give the headphones a whirl. I’m a late night listener, and can get better volume using the cans. I’ve found I’m putting them on more and more since I’ve grown to really like them (HD 800)…

I lived briefly in an apartment where I had a neighbor who did the same pounding. My brother suggested I go talk to my neighbor to sort things out. What I didn’t know at that point was that my Harley Davidson driving neighbor was a Hell’s Angel and an ex-con. When I knocked on his door to talk, I suggested to him that he come knock on my door when he thought I was being too loud and I would gladly quiet down. He told me that this wasn’t a good idea. That he “didn’t want to go back to jail or have his HA friends come over.” Luckily, he decided to move out before I did. The landlord told me the walls were riddled with punch holes. Sometimes dialogue is not the best remedy to these situations, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Ha! Well, when going out to supermarket the other evening I walked across street from my building and looked at the apartment above mine to see if I can see who lives there and luckily their blinds were open and I saw them in the kitchen making dinner or something. Its just a young couple in their late 30’s it looks like. No ex cons here. ha!

2 Likes

I agree with the suggestion to try and talk nicely with your neighbor. You could try leaving your music on and asking to come in to see how loud your music is in their apartment. That should give you an idea how bad it is for them. You could also ask about hours when they might not be home. Initiating a good faith effort to find a mutual solution could go a long way toward finding a solution.

You might also try something to isolate your speakers/subwoofer from the floor to reduce direct transmission of sound through the building structure. I’m sure that your other neighbors would appreciate your efforts to reduce sound transmission into their units as well, even if they don’t complain.

1 Like

Oh my goodness I feel like I’m in Twilight Zone. This exact something just now happened to me. I sing & as I was just playing music singing along all of a sudden a loud banging on my ceiling! That just kept on & on before I realized my music was making them mad!! I have noticed prior singing someone behaved like they got mad & started playing loud Rap music " Or"f it was Rap I have no clue! I can’t get into that style of genre! But I can hear them upstairs being loud in the bedroom. I assume that’s what was going on. I tried not to listen though!! But they made sure it was noticeable!! . But the 1 time I play music in another room they seemed like they got really mad! The banging was so horrible I thought someone was about to fall through my ceiling!! I haven’t lived here very long. I moved in my apartment in August this year! I thought am I gonna start having trouble with these people?? The neighbors kids can get loud at times. But I don’t say anything. The next door neighbor across from me she can be loud at times. She doesn’t seem very nice herself but we try to keep our distance! But the people above me I don’t know if they work nights Or during the day time. But the 1 time I play my music in another room they bang the ceiling so loud I thought WOW are they going crazy?? Because I don’t know them I have no idea how to look at it “Or” how to take their behavior how serious will they start behave later on??

Might be time to look for a new address :slightly_frowning_face:

I had mentioned to 1 of the tenants here in the apartment I live in. She said same thing that crossed my mind I wonder if they work through the nights? If so why can’t they knock on my door like normal people?? I think people now days
act like they were raised like a bunch of wild dogs :joy:. As I always say they behave like a wild beast let out of the cage!!

1 Like

Turn it up, you just need to break them in. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

lol… that’s 1 way that can enlighten their week. I wonder if a person can squeeze a smile out of these mean cruel hearted people😂

2 Likes

The nuclear option is to do the following:

1. Put Albert Ayler music in your cd.
  2. Play with continuous repeat enabled function.
  3. Turn volume to 12 noon.
  4. Leave for a few hours; sit at a cafe or pub.
  5. Upon your return problem should be solved.
    Just kidding !!

Oh my. Hadn’t seen this thread until now. Time for my deep breathing and centering exercises. I always restrict my open up the volume control time to noon to 5 pm. And the rig is off no later than 10 pm except for special occasions. I’ve never had the angry neighbor problem. I’ve been the angry neighbor but have never resorted to banging on the floor, ceiling or walls. A couple of years ago unbelievably obnoxious party animals moved in next to me. I’m talking about past midnight nearly every night. Try discussing the matter like adults with infantile party animals. Not happening. But after having my fill and reporting it half a dozen times, a ‘visit’ by CPD ‘solved’ the issue immediately. Wouldn’t be surprised by what they found during their ‘visit’. Sadly, that’s sometimes what it takes.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that PS Audio has a good neighbor program—they send Elk and Jamesh over to the trouble spot to do one of 2 things: “explain” things to them, or exchange them for a better model (sort of like the equipment trade-in program).

4 Likes

Not bad Palouse…but let’s tweak this a hair more…jamesh could set up
the PS Audio whole room noise cancelling system on home trial…

The system would cancel the invading acoustic noise giving a silence is golden
experience…everyone winds up happier and PS Audio with a new market along
with more satisfied bonafide PS Audio family members…

Some like the tunes n vibes others the silence is golden…

New market for Uncle paul and jamesh to explore while Elk moderates!!

Best wishes all

1 Like

Albert Ayler deserves better. LCD Sound System would be my choice to enlighten those that do not abide.

2 Likes

Great idea!

My $0.02, if relocation or gettin’ pitchforky is out of the question . . .

…plus…

…or equivalent.

1 Like

You are probably correct. How about Lou Reed’s “Metal Machine Music” ? Reed made this double lap record to fulfill his RCA contract. Basically, it’s one long middle finger to RCA.

1 Like

Try to find some music your neighbors enjoy and play it. For example, the other night I was cranking “It’s a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘n’ Roll)” by AC/DC and my neighbor was enjoying it so much that he threw a brick through my window so he could hear it better.

7 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Conformity is one option, but…