New headphones

It’s time for a new headphones, my old AKG need a replacement. I’m thinking on Grado PS1000. Any recommendations welcome.

I just upgraded my headphone rig to Hifiman HE-6 and a Schiit Mjolnir amp. This is feed from the PWD MKII via the RCA outputs (XLR outputs are feeding my D2v). Love this setup!

I was using Grado GS1000 plugged into a TEAC UD-501. The TEAC is on its way to Audiogon once the MKII gets upgraded and the new DS is installed, but the Grados will probably stay until I can acquire a powerful enough mobile rig for the HE-6.

T

tpauline said I just upgraded my headphone rig to Hifiman HE-6 and a Schiit Mjolnir amp. This is feed from the PWD MKII via the RCA outputs (XLR outputs are feeding my D2v). Love this setup!

I was using Grado GS1000 plugged into a TEAC UD-501. The TEAC is on its way to Audiogon once the MKII gets upgraded and the new DS is installed, but the Grados will probably stay until I can acquire a powerful enough mobile rig for the HE-6.

T

The HE-6 need power to drive them and I need a low impedance cans for use with my Denon. My old AKG are high impedance 300homs and don’t work good with my Denon. How you compare the sound of GS1000 with this HE-6?

No comparison. The HE-6 are the best sounding headphones I’ve heard yet. They have a nice black back ground and I’m able to get lost in the music. But you’re right…they need power.

The GS1000s are lighter and airier…the HEs are heavier and need power but the sound is much closer to listening to a “speaker system” then the Grados ever come close to.

Now…my headphone needs have changed over the last year or so which lead me down the path to change. It used to be that I used the phones mainly for travel, those rare moments where I didn’t want to wake the family or they were using the system for movies etc. Well, I’m not traveling near as much, but more so…those rare moments aren’t so rare anymore!!! The family is utilizing the main system more and more and my dedicated music time is getting shorter and later! frown

So as my occasional phone use started increasing it was obvious to me the GS1000/TEAC wasn’t cutting it for true dedicated listening sessions. The TEAC truly is not that great a headphone amp. I first went out to find a new amp…and listened to a couple that worked well with the Grados…Fosegate Signature and Cary audio to name two…but then I heard the HE-6 side by side and knew it was the phones that needed to be changed as well. I was actually going to go with the Fosegate until someone at the last min said “have you heard these?” and handed me the HE-6.

T

You might consider the HE-560 that are to be released soon. Comments on thm are encouraging. There is a good thread on the Head-Fi forum.

J.P.

Another headphone to look at are the Sennheiser 600-650’s

http://www.innerfidelity.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/very-important-sennheiser-hd-580-hd-600-and-hd-650

And there are of course others depending upon budget and their sonic suitability.

JJ

I have a few headphones and if you can deal with the fact of the correct amp the he6 are the best all around headphone. The next would be the hd800 it is close to my stax rig. The hd800 is the best bang for the buck in headphones but you need a good matching amp and dac .

now I am sure the new direct stream is up,to the task . If hd800 the hdvd600 is a fantastic amp as long as you go balanced this matters plenty with this amp anyway. If you go with HE6 get a speaker Amp it’s cheaper than a hiend headphone amp. A krell kav400 xi I have is fantastic with them. And my woo wa 5 is too with crazy tube upgrades . If I had to do all over again HE6 and speaker amp. Or the hd800 hdvd600 rig. PM me or ask me any questions you wish. Also the grado is good but the above are much better. also headfi is great website for headphone info. But you must read through all the bull to find good reviews .

hope this helps you .

al

tpauline said No comparison. The HE-6 are the best sounding headphones I've heard yet. They have a nice black back ground and I'm able to get lost in the music. But you're right...they need power.

The GS1000s are lighter and airier…the HEs are heavier and need power but the sound is much closer to listening to a “speaker system” then the Grados ever come close to.

Now…my headphone needs have changed over the last year or so which lead me down the path to change. It used to be that I used the phones mainly for travel, those rare moments where I didn’t want to wake the family or they were using the system for movies etc. Well, I’m not traveling near as much, but more so…those rare moments aren’t so rare anymore!!! The family is utilizing the main system more and more and my dedicated music time is getting shorter and later!

So as my occasional phone use started increasing it was obvious to me the GS1000/TEAC wasn’t cutting it for true dedicated listening sessions. The TEAC truly is not that great a headphone amp. I first went out to find a new amp…and listened to a couple that worked well with the Grados…Fosegate Signature and Cary audio to name two…but then I heard the HE-6 side by side and knew it was the phones that needed to be changed as well. I was actually going to go with the Fosegate until someone at the last min said “have you heard these?” and handed me the HE-6.

T

Troy I live in NYC Nd in North Carolina . If you ever want to hear what I have just PM me . Your ears will love you for it. And your wallet will cry hahaha.

Al

Thanks for the offer Al. I’m on the other coast here in California, but if I find my way over your way I will certainly take you up on the offer.

My wallet cries constantly now so I’ve grown used to its incessant wailings!

T

With the budget for GS1000’s I’d also recommend you audition a pair of Sennheiser HD800’s - well built and well reviewed by the mags. A decent didicated headphone amp to do them justice also.

sumiko said With the budget for GS1000's I'd also recommend you audition a pair of Sennheiser HD800's - well built and well reviewed by the mags. A decent didicated headphone amp to do them justice also.

Thanks, yes I like this HD800 but the problem is the hi impedance most preamp including mine are design for low impedance headphones so the need for the amp is extra $$$ i don’t want to pay.