New PS Audio speakers?

Awesome. What can you do to minimize the impact of rear wall then? DSP? No ports? As rigid of a enclosure?

Like what options are available to make that happen? I think Wilson latest bookshelf has taken some steps with a specific bookshelf stand to address some of these issues.

To answer that you have to think about what’s actually happening when we place a speaker close to the rear wall. Some frequencies are exaggerated relative to others. Thus, the crossover’s going to have to compensate for those changes depending on distance from
the wall. Generally speaking, the area of 500Hz up to a couple of kHz needs to be slightly depressed relative to everything else for best depth. When we move close to the wall those areas get louder thus eliminating any depth of soundstage possibilities.

I built an experimental speaker years ago (of which I patented) that was only 1 foot from the rear wall yet had more depth than any speaker system I have ever heard. It used some pretty tricky techniques to get there.

1 Like
  1. List item

I’m surprised that there isn’t more interest in speakers that have a cardioid response at bass to mid bass given that speaker/room integration is the last frontier . As far as I know Kii Three and ME Geithain are the company’s promoting it . There are more no doubt , certainly with subwoofers .
All the best for 2019
Leigh

Yes, further to this:
@Paul - some studio- (and audiophile-)oriented companies are doing some very interesting things with small speakers that use a cardioid response pattern (and lots of other DSP tricks) to have a very intelligent response to room placement.

I have some experience with the Dutch & Dutch 8c, and impressive all-in-one monitor that combines DSP (it’s a full active DSP-enabled speaker) with midwoofer venting to provide cardioid response well into the midrange. This in combination with rear-facing woofers (which are said to capitalize on the Allison effect) allow them to tailor the in-room response to the distance from the back wall (user-selected).

@Paul - But that’s them – I have a hard time believing that PS Audio is going to create an all-digital DSP speaker… it sort of obviates all the other products you sell (!). How much DSP are you willing to get into? I know you’ve said before that you only want DSP correction in the very lowest frequencies… I’ve also wondered before why PSA have opted for dipole midrange and upper drivers in a box instead of on a baffle… Could you speak to the pros and cons there?

I’m of two minds… some days (like when I’m trying to move things around and messing with cables, or when one of my BHK tubes develops a weird noise) I relish the concept of a system comprised of two speaker boxes, 10 cm from the wall, each connected to AC power, and ethernet. No cables, no tubes, no nonsense. :grinning:

I have missed it if it’s in the thread. Various finishes have been mentioned for the side panels but is there the option of switchable panels?

Yes, we will make the side panels switchable and then offer a few different finishes.

1 Like

Hi Paul, trying to decide if I will attend AXPONA this year (I have two other things happening that weekend) and my make or break is if you will be displaying/demoing the new speakers. So, any chance? If yes, which model?

I have every intention of showing at Axpona with a prototype pair of our new AN3 loudspeakers (the $10K ones). Fingers crossed we can pull it off.

5 Likes

Excellent! I’ll do my best to come hear them.

Hello, first post, please do not shoot me / my ideas down, too badly. As any of these speaker serie (AN1-2-3) will have servo sub woofers and given the fact not everybody can have a totally separate room / setup for home theater, wouldn’t it make sense to include and LFE input in the speakers? it seems cheap enough and the best of both worlds. Those purists who wold not mix 2 ways with home theater would just not use it, those one who won’t / can’t have a separate room, would have a less cluttered room and, not having to purchase separate subwoofers, it would greatly improve the affordability of the PSaudio solution…

Welcome, Renato!

This is an intriguing idea. Does any other speaker of which you are aware have such an input? It certainly would be useful.

Nope. the idea, so far , is, for good or bad, just mine as far as I know :slight_smile:

Welcome! We don’t generally shoot newbies :). Thanks for posting.

It’s a good idea, not sure how practical it would be since the subwoofer and its crossover are integral to the design and if we gave an LFE we’d be at the mercy of the SSP crossover. Let me think about that one. It’s a really good idea.

Goldenear Triton reference has a LFE input.

Very cool. It is a great idea.

Do you know how it works in practice, such as whether one can leave it connected when listening to two-channel, and whether there is some sort of switch between using the woofers as a sub v. running the speaker full range?

I have a Rel Subwoofer and I connect the high input to the speaker amp and it has an LFE input, they are both active at the same time as the sub could be used both to serve the last octave of the mains or/and for the LFE. The speakers would serve the same use case.

@Elk I believe all of the active GE speakers with integrated subs have one as well as my Definitive Technology Mythos ST towers (also Sandy Gross designs). There is no physical switch on either. I only have speaker cable connected to my Triton 1’s as well as the DT’s, so I don’t know exactly how it works. My guess is when you connect to the LFE it only takes bass info from the LFE input?

1 Like

No, an LFE channel, in a “X.1” is a separate, discrete channel just with effects (Explosions, etc). That is the case if you set up the main /other speakers as “Large”, aka full range, in the home theater decoder. One can always (in theory) set up the main speaker as small and set a cross over in the home theater decoder; in such case the main speakers would not receive frequencies below the cross over one set in the HT decoder and those frequencies would be redirected to the LFE channel.
The optimal setup for the PS Audio speaker would be to set them full range and have the LFE signal to carry just the effects and, eventually, the low frequencies of all the other speakers (surround, ceiling, etc) which are likely more limited in how low they can go.
This is the typical setup if you have an home theater with 7 or 11 channels (plus the woofer(s) ) the only difference here, is the main speaker already have the powered woofers incorporated, rather than having the woofers in a separate box.

1 Like

I have a setup with Triton References and a Marantz Pre/pro for home theater. The same setup also includes BHK Pre (using HT passthru for movies) and BHK 300s with the DS DAC. I have the LFE connection from the Marantz to the speakers with LFE enabled on the Marantz. When watching movies the LFE is active and the Triton senses it and uses it. When the LFE is not active is behaves as a typical full range speaker. It seems to work quite well.

Thanks @Renato, I incorrectly assumed that the LFE out was all the info below the crossover point. Obviously if the speakers set to Large there is no crossover. It makes sense that only those effects are sent out the LFE in that situation. I appreciate the clarification.

@AudioJim I wonder if I’m missing out not using the LFE in’s on the speakers in my home theater? I use four full range towers with a smaller center speaker. My AVR is set to send the center channel info below the crossover to the subs in the towers. I’m happy with the sound and I’ve never felt it lacked low end. When I set it up many years ago I wasn’t interested in splitting the LFE out 4 ways and running four long RCA’s around the room. Have you ever heard your surround set up without the LFE connected? If so, I’m guessing you heard a difference? Thanks in advance.