Non-Music YouTube Videos

I question that statement. How many recording studios use high quality cables, power regenerators, and equipment that uses top-notch parts, like most of us audiophiles here use?

Well said, and in my experience it is mainly attributable to the performance, should the sonics be stellar all the better.

You would obviously be surprised. There is a lot of highly sophisticated, expensive recording gear in use, not to mention quality boards, mics, etc.

But gadgets/gear are not the issue. The recording chain is inherently vastly more accurate than the reproduction chain, and always has been. Thus the continuing fascination with older recordings - and our ability to record has continued to improve.

The larger point however is the video’s erroneous proposition recordings are not only deficient in some way, they are all deficient in the same way.

1 Like

I think the overall point of the video was, or least what I got from it, is there is always going to be a certain degree of inherent colorations in the recording process, and as we know, the reproduction end as well. So when assembling our systems, we pick and choose from products that synergistically work together, that come as close as possible to sounding like real live music, based on our personal preferences. That being said, I believe that Mikey, and I know for myself, know that every recording isn’t colored or deficient in the same way. So as hard as one may try to achieve the perfect balance of synergy, you can’t find that perfect balance for every recording, but hopefully you find a good compromise for a major of your music collection. The other take away I got from the video was, there is no holy Grail piece of gear that exists, because everything is going to be a slight deviation from reality.

In other words, put together a system which works and you like. :slight_smile:

Pretty basic, standard stuff which most of us have been attempting for years.

While the chase is fun, I doubt we will ever succeed in reproducing the sound of acoustic instruments in a real space so that we are consistently fooled for any period of time.

Yep, every time we make an upgrade, and find ourselves blown away, the honeymoon has an expiration date, and we’re looking for the next fix.

Yup, it is like more horsepower in a performance car.

Lost 1967 interview of Johnny Cash.

Love this interview. Love the pace, the conversation is allowed to breath. You don’t hear that anywhere in this country anymore, even in the Deep South. I think his position on politics, at this point, isn’t surprising at all, seems silly to think otherwise. Merle Haggard Okie from Muskogee anyone. Guess he should be cancelled. He reminds me of my family roots living in Cicero, IL at the time. Mostly scotch Irish who moved from the south to Cicero to work in factories….hillbillies at heart.

3 Likes

Fascinating and potentially uplifting video from the U.K. regarding Omicron as of January 16, 2022.

This was an interesting subwoofer discussion

Just so we never forget what man can do to man

About as non music a video as you can get!

1 Like

Succinctly interesting demo, thanks.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

This is where astrophysics gets weird. The expansion has to violate the laws of physics as we know them. Wrapping my tiny brain around the fact that the entire universe came from a singularity of infinite density is just too much. How we could ever really confirm this is as close to impossible as I can think of. I can only postulate we are in a multi-verse and we would get the opportunity to observe a new universe coming into existence (yeah … riiiggghhht).

We know a great deal and the proof is there. Unfortunately it is too complicated and requires too much math to easily explain.

It is not something one can simply put on a workbench and poke for verification.

1 Like

PBS Space Time - YouTube
has a lot of good astrophysics (and other stuff.) They don’t shy away from hard questions, but unlike The Discovery Channel, the Science Channel (or, I hate to say, Nova these days) they don’t disseminate unqualified statements as facts which often confuses understanding of the real thing. There’s a lot of subtlety in the universe and over or understating confusing things doesn’t lead to clarity.

1 Like