One Year later

One year into the DS DAC and it’s various transconfigurations…
I just finished my Saturday musical interlude and I am still astounded what the DS has done for digital playback and recorded music in my system. My thanks to Paul and the PS Audio team for bringing this outstanding product to the market.

matthewnz said One year into the DS DAC and it's various transconfigurations... I just finished my Saturday musical interlude and I am still astounded what the DS has done for digital playback and recorded music in my system. My thanks to Paul and the PS Audio team for bringing this outstanding product to the market.
+1. Indeed.

Odd

Still enjoying - always looking for more improvement through Ted’s clever programming. But for now, Pikes Peak is the bomb!

With DAC technology constantly improving, and prices coming down each year on this technology, it’s nice to know the DirectStream can be software updated!

As I improve the rest of my system (thinking of my new BHK 250), it becomes all the more apparent just how good the DS is. And Ted ain’t done yet.

matthewnz said One year into the DS DAC and it's various transconfigurations... I just finished my Saturday musical interlude and I am still astounded what the DS has done for digital playback and recorded music in my system. My thanks to Paul and the PS Audio team for bringing this outstanding product to the market.
Yup, thanks. Me as well. And, as it's been said, Ted ain't done yet. Just wait...
stevem2 said As I improve the rest of my system (thinking of my new BHK 250), it becomes all the more apparent just how good the DS is. And Ted ain't done yet.
Exactly and what's interesting, the BHK is sooooo revealing, sooooo open and non-restrictive you finally get to hear what DirectStream really does - for me, I hadn't any idea before the BHK.
Paul McGowan said
And, as it's been said, Ted ain't done yet. Just wait...
Come now, Paul. You know by now you can't make a tease like that without giving us something!

Very true Paul. I had a couple friends over yesterday and gave them a brief demo (just before we walked down the street and saw The Who at the Forest Hills tennis stadium; Pete and Roger are still rocking it after 50 years). They’re not audiophiles but have heard my system before. They just kept saying “It’s so clear.” (They are the proud and happy owners of a Sprout, btw.)

I’m happy with my DirectStream. I had an excellent amplifier and speakers and I kept looking for the best digital source (had vinyl covered!) and I was most happy with the PWD, then PWD Mk 2 and finally the DirectStream. . . . I’ve just stopped looking for anything else and just listening. That’s what I’ve wanted.

adriaan said Still not completely happy with DSD though.
Why? Do you find it "too soft"?

I agree - the DS is fabulous.

Unfortunately, the Bridge is five years ago, and has very poor software support, particularly on the Mac.

adriaan said Yes, still a bit soft and lack of sparkling dynamics in my opinion.
I must admit I expected more from DSD indeed. Especially from transients.
EldRick said Unfortunately, the Bridge is five years ago, and has very poor software support, particularly on the Mac.
It depends on what you are looking for from the user experience point of view. You can install MinimServer on your Mac and then use any UPnP control point. Or play via USB.