Pink Faun Computer based I²S bridge

Paul, I do get that Wavestream will be a more complete solution - indeed I find new uses for it all the time, as the ability to redirect any audio output at all opens up a whole lot of possibilities. But I also think that this is a solution that might appeal to many people and in some setups may have advantages that matter. I think it would be great if Wijnand can help us to investigate whether the Pink Faun product will work with the PWD. At $500, if it works reliably and sounds good, I would definitely be tempted to at least give it a shot, and I think some others would too.

@wijnand now that looks like a solution. My point is having software that must work in people’s CPU with so many varibles. Add to this people having software changes they are doing or updates that may effect what you have done. I think a ps audio standalone music server is truly the solution if not using the PWT .

I think there are many brilliant people in this forum and using them for ideas should not be waisted.

Happy holidays to all .

Al d

I do not think you will see a combined product from PS Audio containing a ‘PC’.

There are just too many components that influence the sound in a negative way (e.g. noisy).

This is at least how I read Paul.

As I can understand Paul’s position , where does that leave people who own a Pwd with bridge . As for noise there are plenty of fan less CPU option,s to use . And it could be a ps audio product to sell to other,s with out ps audio dac,s . I am not claiming to have an answer in this and I am certainly not one of the brilliant people I mentioned . For me I just purchased a music server , but I really did like the way the bridge sounded.

As I can understand Paul's position , where does that leave people who own a Pwd with bridge . As for noise there are plenty of fan less CPU option,s to use . And it could be a ps audio product to sell to other,s with out ps audio dac,s . I am not claiming to have an answer in this and I am certainly not one of the brilliant people I mentioned . For me I just purchased a music server , but I really did like the way the bridge sounded.

One other problem is that you might not have full control over the tasks at hand with regard to execution and priorities. There are vast of interrupts that may jeopardize functionality and performance. It helps with a real time kernel, though. Personally I like FPGA's tuned for purpose.

Yea. But will ps audio consider this idea. And if not at least post as to the why it’s a bad idea

And let the wisdom that resides here work there magical influence.

One other problem is that you might not have full control over the tasks at hand with regard to execution and priorities. There are vast of interrupts that may jeopardize functionality and performance. It helps with a real time kernel, though. Personally I like FPGA's tuned for purpose.
This will alway's be a problem just as we already have when we use a nass a computer or whatsoever. The more items involved the more items of infuence.

When a computer is integrated and only run that software needed to install and run the task software. Think about windows CE for example. I think you get far more control than we have now.

The only connections you than need is a connection with your music library (ethernet, USB3, thunderbold etc.) and the I2S with the dac. Depending of how you wish to control by Ipad ( you still need a wireless lann) or by direct connected computermonitor, mous and keyboard or touchscreen.

It’s the same for all the music servers the majority are headless are they not. And they all have a software running to use for interface. So if the unit is desecrated to only run what is nessasery why is this not good.

It can be lynix witch seems to be the choice of many. The music server I just bought is headless with no video interface , mouse or keyboard. Why not this approach. And there is a music server from Jesus that looks like it is a psu mother board inside as it has a dvi and VGA ports , but it is headless. The ports do not function.

I think PSA recognizes the need for a silent server to run the uPnP server or WS, but I foresee that this will be a separate unit from the Bridge and the DAC…

I think PSA recognizes the need for a silent server to run the uPnP server or WS, but I foresee that this will be a separate unit from the Bridge and the DAC......
Met too :).
But still I like the solution of pink faun.

Yea. This is what I am saying. A new product and it could be sold to other users without the DAC

As I think ps audio has great notoriety in the Hifi circle. And over all makes good products with the best support of any product. And has a great forums to get help too.

But as i do not run or completely understand there needs as a manufactory of product , it is for them to deside. My only gripe is not saying what is being planed to fix the issues.

Yes I do as well. What I do not understand with the PCI express device is why they do not do

A rj45 output as well. As there are dacs with this for the I2S I puts.

Yes I do as well. What I do not understand with the PCI express device is why they do not do
A rj45 output as well. As there are dacs with this for the I2S I puts.
It's probably not the type of connector that is important, but the protocol that is used. I'm pretty sure cable solutions with different connectors on both sides could be made, but Pink Faun chose for the HDMI and probably with a good reason.

I’m sure and the wiring is the same but different connectors so you can make a PC board

With the two connectors on either end.

But there is different protocols used. anyway let’s see what the new year brings

Also,

I think one issue we should not underestimate is the DAC market conservatism.

I think many DAC owners are sceptic to changes, and especially to computers.

You need to find your position in the niche market.

However, a pure computer solution for a music server is easily adopted.

Having said this, PSA is known for challenging most preconceptions in this area.

I'm sure and the wiring is the same but different connectors so you can make a PC board
With the two connectors on either end.
But there is different protocols used. anyway let's see what the new year brings

I do not agree to this.
Take a look at the comparison made by Jesus at Sonore.

Do you have a link ?

Do you have a link ?

Google is your friend:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFhNT0xWQnNVWTI1QjhTdXVGVThiYnc

@admin MPD has been used by Bryston with quite some success. MPD sounds really good on my Linux machine.

@jvilly Yes, MPD on a Linux platform is the best I’ve heard. Bryston really caught onto to this early. Their idea of separating the storage from the processor was a master stroke. Add a pink faun i2s card into a BDP2 and you have potentially a great match for the PWD2.

LMS is also a good choice, and very versatile.