Pink Faun Computer based I²S bridge

Check this out!

Pink faun’s bridge 32bit 192Khz on PCI Express.

http://www.pinkfaun.nl/portal/productaanbod/dac-streaming-audio/1440-i2s-bridge

Attached files

@wijnand you crazy dutch, doing i2s over HDMI… Also some exotic looking pink horned speakers on that site. Wow.

Seriously though, it looks interesting. Is this the first pci card to output i2s over HDMI natively?

Thanks I think :wink:

It’s the first that I’m aware of. It must be the first by a high end manufacturer.

Now that looks cool. So the CPU is totally the music server , is this compatible with the PS audio i2s. As there is no compliance for this type input am I correct???

Now that looks cool. So the CPU is totally the music server , is this compatible with the PS audio i2s. As there is no compliance for this type input am I correct???

The only way to tell for sure will be to try it. I think PS Audio's implementation is open source.

Is this the mother of Bridge MKII? Would have to make the inputs and outputs reversed of course … but PS should maybe get one of these to see how they engineered it.

Cool.

Attached files

$513 USD for those of us on this side of de Zee. Shipping? Um, may be $50ish? Not cheap but not ridiculous either. Of course, it would be cheaper for us if Wijnand got real interested in one to try for himself… >:)

I would like to hear some one do a review and I just spent 2 k on a music server.

It’s most definitely someone else’s turn.

Why does no one here do reviews on there products here anyway. As long as there is a ps product in there I think that would be fair.

$513 USD for those of us on this side of de Zee. Shipping? Um, may be $50ish? Not cheap but not ridiculous either. Of course, it would be cheaper for us if Wijnand got real interested in one to try for himself... >:)
I'm sure I will try it, but you have to be little patient than.

I just bought some other equipment so the next buy will be in a few months. It's no fun to just buy it let's dream about it for a while :D

This is neat but it requires a computer to even work. Probably not something we’re interested in. We’ve been looking, as of late, at MPD as a possible engine for Bridge II.

ok ill bite whats a MPD ?? A little help for the tart guy here.

Music Player Daemon

@ wijnand: You 'Da Man!!

I thought maybe , got to love google. But it looks like an open app type system it has updates almost biweekly. Wouldn’t it be better to go with a more stable platform that does not keep having bug fixes as people find them ? I am not being sarcastic in my statement just curious to the method that that causes this kind of solution . Is it ps audio,s way to just migrate towards constant fixes to issues that should not be there in the first place ?

And thanks elk for the answer .

Al d

Actually, I think that MPD is a good move. Since it is Open Source then improvements, updates and bugfixes are constantly forthcoming and cost PS Audio no more than incorporating them in their distribution. I am a fan of open source software and much of it is very high quality.

J.P.

I agree with J.P. It’s the nature of open source software that bugs are out there in the open for everybody to see; proprietary software has just as many, only not in public. Also, PSA would choose an operating system for Bridge II, presumably a minimal version of *nix, and test MPD with that OS – the version of MPD that PSA chooses would not have to work with every *nix variant, which simplifies life considerably.

Wow, for those of us who do like to keep our servers in the same room as the rest of the system, (which includes me, for various reasons) this could be a great product. I would definitely look forward to a review and finding out if it will work with PSA’s I2S implementation.

I’m not trying to be Ignorat. And Foobar is open and vlc player is open. And both seem to be good exAmples

Of work in progress. But I am a fan of if it works don’t fix it. And I do not want something constantly changing moving menus and the like. I want to tap a screen pick something and listen to music. I do not want 100 choices in drop down menus to choose from.

I really did like E lyric. All the music was there and it worked. That is till the ps audio wheel turned again for some other feature or BUG fix that did not effect me. Now I do think that the firmware changes has greatly improved how the DAC sounds. But the bridge did sound better in all uses.

Ps the new bridge firmware did not bring back my Elyric.

Maybe I’m just not up to the constant changes or old and cranky. As I am proud of owning ps audio equipment, I just wish the smoke would clear on one problem before the dust up begins with the next.

Al D

Wouldn’t it be great to have a PS audio computer like this.

Maybe the computer could be build in a PWT. New Bridge || build in the transport (only it wouldn’t be a bridge but a computer audio card). It’s just the other end of the I2S cable, but it probably solves a lot of the problems. For example no need of a wavestream. More normal software for the computer audio card instead of bridge software. No communication with the bridge but with a normal computer. One of the most important issues that would be solved is no decrease in SQ when streaming (the server would just be a network location and wouldn’t need to be active processing or transcoding) tracks over ethernet from a server. No matter what cabling is used.

We than would have it all. PWT PWStreamer and PWD.

Attached files