POLL: Is the Combined MSRP of Your Primary Home Audio System Greater than the Value of Your Car?

I have learned to keep wives and mistresses apart.

I had a 1988, in '88-90, Subaru wagon, before they had names, living at Snowbird, UT it was priceless.

Little red button on the 5 speed shifter, ‘click’ 4x4. It also had hill assist. It would hold the brake during a stop on an incline and release it as the clutch engaged. Absolutely brilliant.

Ha! My 2018 Durango has hill assist. Thanks Subaru.
A college girlfriend had a Renault Dauphine that had a pressure switch on the shifter and an electrically operated clutch, similar to VW and others, I suppose. But the most charming feature was the bell that rang when you hit the “shift” rpm. brrring, brrring, shift. Adorable.

An aside, hill holding has been around since the 1930’s.

More recently I was surprised to learn BMW’s new generation S1000RR superbike includes a hill assist feature. While I appreciate this may be handy in some circumstances, if you need a hill holder when piloting a 200+ HP superbike, get off the machine.

:slight_smile: My experience at my advanced age, even riding the milder 2003 Fireblade, is that after a 300 mile run through some of the twistiest roads in East Anglia, I would welcome any assistance I could get when at lights on a steep hill near home!

I understand. My typical ride is 300 to 500 miles of challenging roads. One gets tried toward the end.

On steep inclines, I just apply the rear brake. On the other hand, if one of my bikes came with a hill folder feature I would not disable it.

DStrangest thing is that the Durango with hill hold has an automatic trans.

BMW ATs all have hill holding, many other brands with automatics do as well.

I started my stereo system building when I just had a motorcycle and during that long spell spent a lot of money on my system. . . and kept on spending after I returned to Ohio and couldn’t ride a bike all year round as I had in Texas and had to buy a car.

I’d say that my system is worth more than my car and motorcycle (both paid for in cash) together. . . and nearing twice the price I paid for those vehicles. (2008 Harley FXDF, '15 Nissan Juke NISMO, both bought new). Neither my bike nor car are top of the line, but they are just what I want and suit me fine.

I’m no motorcycle expert, I just like such kind of naked, classic and rather puristic bikes like the BMW in the last Mission impossible movie…would love to have this in the garage.

The BMW R nineT Scrambler is part of what BMW calls its Heritage line. It is aimed at Millennials, and younger Gen Xers, who are realizing how cool their parents actually were and are buying vinyl and vintage furniture. Like a Harley, it is a lifestyle bike; a bike on which to look cool and looks good parked at Starbucks. Traditionally, a scrambler was a street bike modded for riding in the dirt.

A number of manufacturers are courting this new demographic of motorcycle buyers. Ducati, Triumph, Moto Guzzi, and Yamaha all make bikes called “Scrambler.”

…training wheels

With depreciation what it is, the value of my system (MSRP) exceeds the current value of my Lingenfelter Vette. Strange thing is, if I had kept the 1941 Harley WR I bought as a junior in high school, found sitting for sale as an old grease ball, it would bring a really good penny today. Instead dating and Drive Ins with a very gorgeous Red Head dictated I sell it. The 58 Buick that replaced it, worth not so much today, except for a few memories.

That Harley cost me a whole hard earned $125.00 in 1967